moving the MBR

Komataguri

2[H]4U
When I formated and reinstalled, I had a bunch of issues, and ended up having to take a Win98 drive out of another PC, and putting it in this PC as the primary, so I could boot and install XP.

However, The MBR is now on that Win98 Harddrive...a drive I don't particularly want in this drive, and really need in my junk PC, and I can't switch my XP drive to primary on the IDE cable or it won't boot.

So...How can I transfer the MBR to my XP drive, so I can take the Win98se drive out, and put XP back on primary?

You can remove the 98 drive completely, and set the XP one up as the primary. Then boot off the XP CD and go into the recovery console, and run fixmbr.

djnes said:
You can remove the 98 drive completely, and set the XP one up as the primary. Then boot off the XP CD and go into the recovery console, and run fixmbr.

Thats the problem, for some reason my XP CD..when it boots, it only boots Caledra Dr.DOS

Komataguri said:
Thats the problem, for some reason my XP CD..when it boots, it only boots Caledra Dr.DOS

It's not booting from the CD then. Doesn't sound like your using a real, legal CD. Check your BIOS options, and check that you don't have a floppy in the drive.

Your right, I'm using a cloned CD.

The key is legit and paid for, I just lost my original disk.

and I don't have a floppy in the drive.

How did you clone the CD? It sounds like it might not be bootable at all. That still has nothing to do with Caldera DR DOS. Until you figure out what's booting DR DOS, or you get it to boot from CD, we can't really help that much.

t00thless said:
did you use the file "microsoft image.img" to make a backup of your disk?

Donno, Just did a rip and burn.

If thats whats required for it to be a bootable disk, then obviously it probably didn't get it.

Komataguri said:
Donno, Just did a rip and burn.

If thats whats required for it to be a bootable disk, then obviously it probably didn't get it.
I suppose it's too late now, but directly copying the cd should have been sufficient. The original cd is bootable, but when you just take the files from the cd and write them to another, you lose the structure of the cd and you lose the original boot image.

ameoba said:
got a working 98 boot cd?

fdisk /mbr

Tried that with a Win98 boot disk that has fdisk on it [ from bootdisk.com ] and wouldn't do anything.

jpmkm said:
I suppose it's too late now, but directly copying the cd should have been sufficient. The original cd is bootable, but when you just take the files from the cd and write them to another, you lose the structure of the cd and you lose the original boot image.

I burned it as a bootable, and it does boot...it just boots Dr.DOS instead. o_+

I don't know anyone that has a clean XP Home disk, either. Wonder how I'll aquire one, damnit.

Komataguri said:
I burned it as a bootable, and it does boot...it just boots Dr.DOS instead. o_+

I don't know anyone that has a clean XP Home disk, either. Wonder how I'll aquire one, damnit.

I think there may be something your leaving out here. If you ripped the contents to your hard drive, and burn them back to a CD-R as a bootable disk, you will:

1) Be prompted for a boot image of some kind, and burning will not continue...
2) If you clicked to close this section, it still does not load DR DOS.

If your using a legal copy, then that means you still have the original. Use it. If you don't have the original anymore, your using an illegal copy, and we've always wasted too much time trying to help. Any other option will require a floppy drive, and you said you don't have one.

if you have a legal cd-key.

ask a friend for a xp-home cd and install from there and activate the normal. should work.

is your license OEM or Retail?

djnes said:
I think there may be something your leaving out here. If you ripped the contents to your hard drive, and burn them back to a CD-R as a bootable disk, you will:

1) Be prompted for a boot image of some kind, and burning will not continue...
2) If you clicked to close this section, it still does not load DR DOS.

If your using a legal copy, then that means you still have the original. Use it. If you don't have the original anymore, your using an illegal copy, and we've always wasted too much time trying to help. Any other option will require a floppy drive, and you said you don't have one.

No, I copied the files to my PC, then burned using the " Burn Bootable Disk " option in Nero.

If you had bothered to even READ any of my posts before going anti-warez time wasting nazi on me.. You would have noted.

I have a floppy drive, I never said I didn't. I said I had no disk in the drive, and I also said I tried to use a Win98 boot disk from boot disk dot com to fdisk /mbr

I don't HAVE the original Disk anymore, My key IS LEGIT, This CD-R backup is a copy a made a long while ago.

I am NOT using an illegal copy, My Key IS legal and rightfully purchased. Just because I lost the disk dosn't make my key any less legal. :rolleyes:

chinoquezada said:
if you have a legal cd-key.

ask a friend for a xp-home cd and install from there and activate the normal. should work.

is your license OEM or Retail?

I do have a legal CD-Key.

I already said that no one I know uses Home, or atleast has a non-manufacterer system restore disk.

OEM, Not a system restore disk, just OEM.

Komataguri, you better chill with the attitude if you expect help. First off, I've been using Nero since version 4, up to the recent, and Caldera DR DOS is not part of Nero, nor does it add it to a bootable CD without the image. Now, I'll say once more....you either added some DR DOS bootable image of floppy when you burned the CD, or else there's something your leaving out. Your credibility is already up in the air based on the fact you didn't just do a 1 to 1 copy of the CD. You also need to drop the know-it-all attitude and realize 99% of the people who stumble over why they can't produce a real CD are using a warez version.

For the fun of it, I copied some data to a CD just now, and choose bootable CD. And guess what...it's not a bootable CD. There's no boot image, nor is there any sign of Caldera DR DOS. A search on Nero's site for Caldera returns 0 hits.

Now, when your willing to drop the attitude, admit that what your asking "sounds" shady, we can progress.

You know what, To hell with you.

Your the one giving me attitude, making your wry, subtle accusations.

and I never said Nero added Dr.Dos to the CD, YOU did.

I told you I copied the files to my harddrive, then burned with the " Burn Bootable CD " option in Nero. I never said Nero added Dr.Dos. I was telling you how I made the backup of MY LEGALLY owned copy. Nero wouldn't have that burn bootable disk if any burned disk could be booted, now would it? Huh? I figued it would burn it different then a regular data cd that would allow the bios to boot from it as opposed to a regular data disk. I reiterate the Burn BOOTABLE option because I want that known thats what i used. The files on the CD work, I just have to start the installation from windows for it to work. My copy just won't boot, it does some strange Dr.Dos thing.

and if I had a know-it-all attitude, I wouldn;t be asking for help now would I? Look at the topic progression, Since you came in here with your damn attitude, Its been more of this useless arguing.

If I had used an illegal CD, Would I even have been able to install windows and get it activated over the internet? If I had downloaded and used an illegal version, Why would I have problems? If it screwed up, I'd just have to download again.

Why the HELL would I go through all this headache of switching harddrives around and trouble shooting with Master Boot issue unless I was going out of my way to USE MY LEGAL GOD DAMN SOFTWARE.

Will someone please close this? I can see as long as this jerk keeps posting in the thread I won't be getting any help. Not only has he not provided any help, He's trying to sully my image here by making me look like a worthless warez whore.

I do not want to get in the middle of some bullshit argument, so I will just say this as simply and as plainly as possible:

When you burn a bootable cd with nero, you have to consciously tell nero exactly which boot image you want the cd to use. That is where the dr-dos is coming from. Somehow, for some reason, you pointed nero to a dr-dos boot image. Nobody is accusing you of having an illegal copy. We are all just wondering why you chose to copy all the files to your hard drive and then burn them to a cd rather than just doing a direct copy. We're not insinuating anything; just curious.

Regarding your question -
Booting the windows disk to the recovery console and doing a 'fixmbr' is obviously the easiest and best solution in this case. A possible alternative is to use the utilities on the ultimate boot cd to try to write an mbr to the drive. I don't know if any of the utilities will write the proper mbr, but it is a possibility.

Stop accusing everyone of accusing you of having illegal software. By making such a big deal out of it you just make it look like you are trying to cover up something. If it is a legal copy then just let it go.

Oh wait, you said since djnes posted here then you obviously cannot get any help. I suppose I just wasted five minutes of my time. :rolleyes:

jpmkm said:
I do not want to get in the middle of some bullshit argument, so I will just say this as simply and as plainly as possible:

When you burn a bootable cd with nero, you have to consciously tell nero exactly which boot image you want the cd to use. That is where the dr-dos is coming from. Somehow, for some reason, you pointed nero to a dr-dos boot image. Nobody is accusing you of having an illegal copy. We are all just wondering why you chose to copy all the files to your hard drive and then burn them to a cd rather than just doing a direct copy. We're not insinuating anything; just curious.

Regarding your question -
Booting the windows disk to the recovery console and doing a 'fixmbr' is obviously the easiest and best solution in this case. A possible alternative is to use the utilities on the ultimate boot cd to try to write an mbr to the drive. I don't know if any of the utilities will write the proper mbr, but it is a possibility.

Stop accusing everyone of accusing you of having illegal software. By making such a big deal out of it you just make it look like you are trying to cover up something. If it is a legal copy then just let it go.

Oh wait, you said since djnes posted here then you obviously cannot get any help. I suppose I just wasted five minutes of my time. :rolleyes:

I idn't point to a Dr.Dos image tho, I selected the directory that all of the contents off my XP CD were in. I don't even have dos, only time I DEAL with dos is on Win98 boot disks.

and excuse me for getting defensive when someone outright calls me a thief. :rolleyes:

Komataguri said:
Will someone please close this? I can see as long as this jerk keeps posting in the thread I won't be getting any help. Not only has he not provided any help, He's trying to sully my image here by making me look like a worthless warez whore.
ok...

lemme get my popcorn first to see djnes response to this...

Okay, for the reading impaired, he goes again...this means you Komataguri.

I explained that when someone asks a question identical to this (which we get many times a day)....99% of the time, they can't boot their CD and fix the problem because they're using a warezed copy. Everything you've posted, has fallen in line with what we see several times a day. I've been here for several years, so you can run calc.exe and figure out how many days that is. You've posted several comments that do not mesh together, so, again, as I suggested, you might want to get more detailed, or revise statements....SO YOU DON'T COME ACROSS AS A THIEF.

If you can't understand this, plet me know, and I will write it in crayon and scan the image. You have yet to explain how you can take the XP system files, burn a data CD in Nero under the option of Bootable CD, and get Caldera DR DOS on there. That is why we think you might have been using a warez copy before. We've made comments asking this, and yet you continue to ignore it.

Furthermore, this is an internet forum. We can only base you on your written comments. As long as they run around in circles, ignore the questions we've posed, and continue demanded help, your not going to get anything fixed.

One more point too....typically, when an innocent person is accused, they attempt to prove their innocence. When a guilty person is accused, that get firey and defensive. Take that as you will.

Here's your choice. You can drop the attitude, answer the questions, and we can get back to helping....or you can continue to the attitude and watch your computer not boot. Assuming your CD is legit, there are programs and software available to make it bootable...but I'll be damned if I am going to waste my time getting you a link, when you can't even answer any questions.

Phoenix86, here's another one that needs to read your sig and learn how to ask for help.

djnes said:
Okay, for the reading impaired, he goes again...this means you Komataguri.

I explained that when someone asks a question identical to this (which we get many times a day)....99% of the time, they can't boot their CD and fix the problem because they're using a warezed copy. Everything you've posted, has fallen in line with what we see several times a day. I've been here for several years, so you can run calc.exe and figure out how many days that is. You've posted several comments that do not mesh together, so, again, as I suggested, you might want to get more detailed, or revise statements....SO YOU DON'T COME ACROSS AS A THIEF.

If you can't understand this, plet me know, and I will write it in crayon and scan the image. You have yet to explain how you can take the XP system files, burn a data CD in Nero under the option of Bootable CD, and get Caldera DR DOS on there. That is why we think you might have been using a warez copy before. We've made comments asking this, and yet you continue to ignore it.

Furthermore, this is an internet forum. We can only base you on your written comments. As long as they run around in circles, ignore the questions we've posed, and continue demanded help, your not going to get anything fixed.

One more point too....typically, when an innocent person is accused, they attempt to prove their innocence. When a guilty person is accused, that get firey and defensive. Take that as you will.

Here's your choice. You can drop the attitude, answer the questions, and we can get back to helping....or you can continue to the attitude and watch your computer not boot. Assuming your CD is legit, there are programs and software available to make it bootable...but I'll be damned if I am going to waste my time getting you a link, when you can't even answer any questions.

Phoenix86, here's another one that needs to read your sig and learn how to ask for help.

I've answered every damn question I've been asked.

Komataguri said:
I've answered every damn question I've been asked.

Point me in the direction of where you explained how DR DOS is on the CD you created? You didn't answer that question. I've tried to duplicate it with my Nero, and I can't. DR DOS isn't part of Nero.

Anyhoo, I'll take the high road, despite the fact I still think there's points or details your leaving out.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Autostreamer.shtml

This freeware will quickly allow you to make a bootable copy of XP from your CD, and allow you to slipstream any updates into it as well. The end result will be a bootable .iso file that you burn as an image. If you still have your legal CD key, then your all set...and you can go on pissing off other people on the forums, but at least you'll have a bootable copy to do so with.

If I knew how Dr.Dos got on the CD, I wouldn't be needing to post for help now would I? :rolleyes:

Use common sense for christ sake, if I was using an illegal copy. So what? I'd just go download a new version and instant fix without the hastle. Shit...if I was a warez monkey why the hell would I be using XP Home?

Komataguri said:
If I knew how Dr.Dos got on the CD, I wouldn't be needing to post for help now would I? :rolleyes:

Use common sense for christ sake, if I was using an illegal copy. So what? I'd just go download a new version and instant fix without the hastle. Shit...if I was a warez monkey why the hell would I be using XP Home?

If you spent more time on here reading the threads we do day after day, you'd be issuing an apology for your attitude, and an admission of realization of why we (or I) made the comments we did. As several o us have said before....you would have had to purposely add DR DOS for it to be on that CD.

Honestly....I'm waiting for you to admit it was a CD a friend made for you or something along those lines. It's quite shocking that someone would be holding an XP CD that THEY made, and they don't know how DR DOS got on there. Somewhere, somehow, some detail is being left out...whether it be on purpose or not. At this point, I don't really give a shit one way or another. If your not using a legal copy, when your PC stops updating and gets slammed with the virus du jour, it won't be my problem.

EDIT: If you ARE using an illegal copy, it woul be against forum rules to discuss it. Common sense would say that, and so do the rules everyone reads before becoing a member. Such threads or instantly closed, with a stern warning to the user. That's what the big deal is about.....common sense, as you say.

why not just make another copy of the cd. using 1 to 1 with nero or whatever w/o putting anyting on hdd and start over with new cd. fesh install and whatever. :D

I don't remember why I made the CD the way I did, if it was like the other times I tried to do something and failed miserably, Then it was probably done at 2am in a last ditch " Lemme just finish this and go to bed " run.

I still can't explain why Dr.Dos is on there, cause I did not put it on there conciously. And I know just copying the files to the HDD isn't the best way to copy a CD, but christ. Everyone does something stupid atleast once in their life.

I made the CD backup a long while ago, before SP1 even came out, Thanks for the link...Now I can reinstall without downloading a bunch of updates by making a slipstreamed SP2.

darknite said:
why not just make another copy of the cd. using 1 to 1 with nero or whatever w/o putting anyting on hdd and start over with new cd. fesh install and whatever. :D

if I had my original CD, I wouldn't have to go through this..

Komataguri said:
Thanks for the link...Now I can reinstall without downloading a bunch of updates by making a slipstreamed SP2.

And have it bootable as well, so you can follow my initial instructions on running fixmbr to get your drive booting.

Komataguri, follow the link in my sig.

If I knew how Dr.Dos got on the CD, I wouldn't be needing to post for help now would I?
...and you expect us to know??? :confused;

Chill, not only will you get much more help, you may not die at the ripe age of 37 from a heart attack.

Alternatly you could also download the bootable floppy setup from MS. IIRC it's 6 disks.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...68-6e4f-471c-b455-bd5afee126d8&displaylang=en

Oh, and I think you owe some people an apology, but that's me.

Alright.

Auto Streamer worked, I now have a bootable SP2 slipstreamed disk.

But...when I switch my XP disk to primary on the IDE cable, then boot into the recovery console...it says it can not continue because it does not detect any harddrives installed.

Bios can see everything fine, I'm posting from the machine I'm working on.

For some reason, the XP disk can't recognize the drives, even if I try to do a fresh install.

Everything's always funky with my computers, Always stuff no ones never heard of before. blah.

Is it an SATA drive? Depending on your chipset, you may have to load the drivers for the SATA controller by hitting F6 to get to the drives through the recovery console as well, just like during the install.

No SATA, Just plain old IDE. Recognizes harddrives if leave things as is [ With the HDD I don't want in this PC as primary, and the XP Home drive as Slave ]

and I'm sorry about yesterday, Its just everytime I ask for help no matter where I get the the accusations. I know its probably common place, but I hope you can understand...ones fuse starts to burn shorter after they been acused of something they don't do over and overa gain.

if a drive is only being detected when you have another drive present, then your jumper is set to slave, you need to change it.

And if it is set to slave, I'd double check it because the other possibility is your motherboard is broken and you get to buy a new one.

Fryguy8 said:
if a drive is only being detected when you have another drive present, then your jumper is set to slave, you need to change it.

And if it is set to slave, I'd double check it because the other possibility is your motherboard is broken and you get to buy a new one.

The harddrives jumper is set to Master [ Or was that IDE select? Mn....better check, I'm positive its master, tho. ]

if the jumper is set to master, then that disk doesn't show up when you have the win98 disk in. It doesn't work both ways. And if it IS cable select, change it

Back