Moving SecuROM Licences

shawnmramsey

Limp Gawd
I really don't know much about SecuROM at all, but what I do know I don't like, lol.

My question is: If I want to do a fresh windows install (as I like to do every 6 months or so) does anyone know how I could go about moving the SecuROM information over so I don't use another activation on my games. It seems like if I am using the same hardware, and the same OS, same everything, just a fresh install I should be able to just copy some registry keys maybe?

Any ideas? I have done a lot of searching but have yet to find an answer (or a good search string).

With all the problems Sony has had are the SecuROM servers still working?

With all the problems Sony has had are the SecuROM servers still working?

No I don't believe they are working. I have seen a lot of people complaining about buying Crysis on Steams EA week deal, and not being about to activate it. Not sure if its EA, Steam or SecuROM, but if I had to guess you know what I would guess.

Sony doesn't handle SecuROM activation. Every publisher has their own authorization server. So if Steam Crysis isn't activating its an EA or Steam issue

Every game has its own SecureRom rules in a way. There may be a limit on activations that a phone call can get you around or a set amount and thats it. You can also go to the the publishers site to see if they have a tool to remove an activation so that it can be activated again. The EA tool can be found here http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/ .

Tark

Tark is right, you need to work out the type of securom implementation for each game, which is a total pain in the arse.

For some games you will need to use a revocation tool, some will revoke an activation when you uninstall, whereas others you need to right click on the game icon and then select "deauthorise machine" (e.g. Crysis 2 and Dead Space 2).

Ok, thanks that makes a lot of sense. But the question I have here has not been addressed. I guess this would make for a better question.

Is the information that is collected about my specific machine (the information that is analysed to see whether or not I have made changes to my PC) kept on an outside server so I can not access it, or is the kept on my computer somewhere, so I could copy it, and move it onto a new installation? Hope that makes sense.

From the few things I have read some games will contact servers upon installation, some do it on every execution of the app, and some do it randomly (also they can do all of the above).

What information on my system is cross-referenced, and can I modify it, or is it not stored, and rather it's collected in real time when the activation occurs?

Or am I completely wrong about the way it works?

Thanks guys.

Ok, thanks that makes a lot of sense. But the question I have here has not been addressed. I guess this would make for a better question.

Is the information that is collected about my specific machine (the information that is analysed to see whether or not I have made changes to my PC) kept on an outside server so I can not access it, or is the kept on my computer somewhere, so I could copy it, and move it onto a new installation? Hope that makes sense.

From the few things I have read some games will contact servers upon installation, some do it on every execution of the app, and some do it randomly (also they can do all of the above).

What information on my system is cross-referenced, and can I modify it, or is it not stored, and rather it's collected in real time when the activation occurs?

Or am I completely wrong about the way it works?

Thanks guys.

During activation SecuROM takes something of a "snapshot" of your hardware configuration and sends it to the activation server with the activation key. Once the key is confirmed valid and it is confirmed that you have activations remaining a confirmation is sent back to your computer and SecuROM edits the paul.dll file in the game directory with information. Every time the game loads it checks for activation and confirms or denies play based on that. As far as I know outside of cracks there is no way to get around reactivation when you alter your system config or reinstall your operating system.

I'm not sure if my information is 100% accurate, but I'm pretty sure thats how it goes.

I don't know of any way if getting around it and yea it's total bullshit. Some games have revoke tools but do these publishers really expect me to keep track of every little game that has activation limits and an associated revoke tool. I just wait until I go over the activation limit and either download a crack after that or email the publisher to get them back.

This thread gives an example of why PC gaming is failing to consoles.

Man, put a game in and play it. If you have to replace your console, the game still works without fucking with activation. Brilliant! No wonder they're winning.

guinness-brilliant.jpg

This thread gives an example of why PC gaming is failing to consoles.

Man, put a game in and play it. If you have to replace your console, the game still works without fucking with activation. Brilliant! No wonder they're winning.

guinness-brilliant.jpg

Yes because consoles are perfect. Its not like nearly 100 million accounts lost their personal information from a console service.

Back