smellyfatchick
Weaksauce
- Joined
- Jun 3, 2005
- Messages
- 96
I've searched these forums and other forums, the web and usenet and can't seem to find much info regarding this situation. Here it is.
1) I have a raid 1 array on a Abit kr7a-133r which has a highpoint raid controller.
2) I disconnected one drive and the bios said repair array with another drive or "remove from array". I selected "remove from array"
3) I then plugged in the other drive and disconnected this drive and said "remove from array"
4) I plugged both drives in and it now sees it as 2 independent drives
5) setup my new motherboard MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum and created a raid 1 array in the Nforce4 NVRaid Bios with these 2 independent drives. However, in the instruction manual for NVRaid it says that one must select "clear data" if the drives were previously used in a raid configuration. (it doesn't differentiate between a previous raid 1 or raid 0 array)
6) I opted to not clear the data on the drives to see what would happen and NVRaid bios created the array in 1 second and it says that the array is healthy.
7) Booted into windows (this array is just a storage array, windows is installed on another drive) and installed the raid drivers as well as the raid manager and I can see my raid array and the raid manager says that the array is healthy. I can read from the array.
Now my question is, do I risk data corruption if I didn't clear the data and start the raid 1 array over from scratch even though both the bios and the Windows Nvidia raid manager says that it's healthy?
1) I have a raid 1 array on a Abit kr7a-133r which has a highpoint raid controller.
2) I disconnected one drive and the bios said repair array with another drive or "remove from array". I selected "remove from array"
3) I then plugged in the other drive and disconnected this drive and said "remove from array"
4) I plugged both drives in and it now sees it as 2 independent drives
5) setup my new motherboard MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum and created a raid 1 array in the Nforce4 NVRaid Bios with these 2 independent drives. However, in the instruction manual for NVRaid it says that one must select "clear data" if the drives were previously used in a raid configuration. (it doesn't differentiate between a previous raid 1 or raid 0 array)
6) I opted to not clear the data on the drives to see what would happen and NVRaid bios created the array in 1 second and it says that the array is healthy.
7) Booted into windows (this array is just a storage array, windows is installed on another drive) and installed the raid drivers as well as the raid manager and I can see my raid array and the raid manager says that the array is healthy. I can read from the array.
Now my question is, do I risk data corruption if I didn't clear the data and start the raid 1 array over from scratch even though both the bios and the Windows Nvidia raid manager says that it's healthy?