• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Moving into the dorms....need a good queit case

EOL

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
24
Anyone know of a good, solid, quiet case that is also going to provide enough airflow effectivly OC? The computer is going to be place by my bed and i would like to leave it on 24/7 so i need something thats quiet, but i also would like to OC my sytem and need a case that will be a good OC'er. Im thinking 2x 120mm fans possibly but I don't know what case to put them in.

A64 3000+
MSI mobo
1gig ram
6800nu
80gig Hiatchi? HD

Any suggestions will be very helpful. Thank you
 
Ok I have the same situation and decided that its best for me not to keep watercooling so what I did was just rheostat my lian-li its quite enough.
 
Antec Sonata is a sweet case for a great price. Comes with a 120 and you can mount a second one. Both will ramp up or down automatically by temp and it is quieter then any case I've ever owned (even my old SN41G2 Shuttle).
 
Any good 'ol Lian Li will fit the bill. From the price saving PC60 all the way up to the the V2000.

Basically almost any case will fit the bill fine, just make sure to use low cfm fans. They do a lot more work than you think.
 
OldPueblo said:
Antec Sonata is a sweet case for a great price.

I second that motion. My roommate has one, and its deadly quiet, and beautiful to boot!
 
If you can live with the door, the Sonata is a great choice. Personally, I've never liked doors over the 5-1/4 bays. If you can relate, I recommend the Chenbro PC611 (92mm intake, 120mm exhaust, front USB/firewire/audio) and the Evercase Gamer Mid-Tower (120mm intake and exhaust, front USB and audio). Either can be purchased online for under $60 (cheaper if you can find one without a PSU).
 
I second the Antec P160. I have it and love it.

However it is more expensive than some of the cases mentioned here. I got mine for 120 after shipping, the side window version.

The Antec Lanboy is a cheaper solution. It's a little shorter and also uses 2x120mm fans.

I think newegg mentioned including 1 120mm fan with my P160, but it came with two - and one had blue LEDs.
 
imo, for a quiet case i'm not so sure having a great case will make a difference. i switched from a generic crap case to an x-dreamer II recently, and I had to do a few mods to make it quiet enough so it barely makes any sound 5 feet away, where my bed is.

I'm a fan fanatic since I was able to buy 4 panaflo (3x 80, 1x 120) for $15 shipped, with my 2 case fans that came with it, psu, heatsink, and video card fan I have quite a lot. things I had to do though to make it almost soundless:
- 5v my video card fan. i had an extra female molex cable laying around so I took out the yellow and black, made the red and black ends real stiff, and put them into my vid card fan, and electrical tapped it. I also have a panaflo fan shooting air straight at it though so it keeps pretty cool (bfg 5200fx)
- 6v the 2 front intake fans with a SPST switch hooked up in a series so you can turn them on at 6v/off.
- bought a Vantac Nexus fan controller ($20, though I think 2cool is selling for $10 with their clearance) for the panaflo. The thing about the fan controller is that at lower voltages, it makes this small crackle sound which can get very annoying. This was fixable by adding a SPST switch to the 12 volt line (the 5 volt line is for the LED only). You can than turn on and off the fan controller, and while it's on it's a rheostat too!

airflow is great, and when I need to sleep I can turn off 6 fans. while it's running though, I sometimes lower the power on the 120.

some other things though that make the difference, silent hard drives (2x seagate barracuda IV though I heard they stopped making tham), nice zalman heatsink, and a low fan rpm psu.

i can make someschematics on the switches (cost me $6 for switches + wires) if you need them.
 
OldPueblo said:
Antec Sonata is a sweet case for a great price. Comes with a 120 and you can mount a second one. Both will ramp up or down automatically by temp and it is quieter then any case I've ever owned (even my old SN41G2 Shuttle).

sonata case also makes a nice pizza oven too..
 
You're all a bunch of wimps.:p I sleep with two fans on at night. Can't live without them! :D

EDIT: Forgot to make it sound like I was kidding
 
theelviscerator said:
sonata case also makes a nice pizza oven too..

I don't think that's an entirely fair statement to make. It really depends on the CPU you have running in it. If it's a P4 Northwood <= 3.2Ghz, then you'll have absolutely no trouble. If you're running a P4 Prescott or an Athlon XP, then look elsewhere. If you put burning coal in any enclosed space, it'll make for a nice pizza oven. :p
 
R@Mo said:
I don't think that's an entirely fair statement to make. It really depends on the CPU you have running in it. If it's a P4 Northwood <= 3.2Ghz, then you'll have absolutely no trouble. If you're running a P4 Prescott or an Athlon XP, then look elsewhere. If you put burning coal in any enclosed space, it'll make for a nice pizza oven. :p


if its under 3.2 ghz why bother?
 
Back
Top