moving from winnie to an opty dualie -- is a full XP reinstall really necessary?

folks, i'm upgrading my winchester to a dual core (opteron 170) and was hoping to find a way to keep my current os config and not have to go through a full XP reinstall ... anybody with any experience here? ... for example, after upgrading to the appropriate bios, will:

- just dropping in the opty work? (i.e. win just detects new hw and does the right thing)
- if that doesn't work, would dropping in the opty and just reinstalling the chipset drivers be enough?
- if thats a no-go, do i use the sysprep procedure? (do i need to be concerned about the single to dual cpu hal's?)
- repair install? (that'd trash my apps and registry, right?)
- any other options?

any help here is much appreciated!

Winchester.DFI-LPNF4-UltraD(s939).x850xt.WinXPSP2.

I recently upgraded from a Venice to a 165 Opteron and the install went rather smoothly. I already had the appropriate BIOS for my motherboard as well. It pretty much went like this for me...

1) Remove motherboard to remove heatsink.
2) Remove heatsink and cpu
3) Install cpu and heatsink
4) Install motherboard back into case.
5) Boot up
6) BIOS and windows detects the opteron just fine
7) Windows reports that a reboot is required for changes to take effect.
8) Reboot and all is well.

In fact, it also kept all my bios information intact. So it booted up with my old overclock settings as well. Enjoy the dual core!

hitokiri said:
I recently upgraded from a Venice to a 165 Opteron and the install went rather smoothly. I already had the appropriate BIOS for my motherboard as well. It pretty much went like this for me...

1) Remove motherboard to remove heatsink.
2) Remove heatsink and cpu
3) Install cpu and heatsink
4) Install motherboard back into case.
5) Boot up
6) BIOS and windows detects the opteron just fine
7) Windows reports that a reboot is required for changes to take effect.
8) Reboot and all is well.

In fact, it also kept all my bios information intact. So it booted up with my old overclock settings as well. Enjoy the dual core!

Update your sig so we know how your 165 OC'd.

I'll second what hitokiri said. I upgraded from a 3000+ winnie to an opteron dual core 165. I basically did what has previously been said, flash bios, replace chip, reboot, windows detects opteron and changes aspi to multiprocessor pc, reboot, and all seems well. Note I did use windows xp home, not the pro everyone says you "need" for dual core.

....and I will third that. Good advice, and an interesting comment about the Home vs Pro as well. I've done this on both with no issues.

Me:

1. Uninstalled my Opteron 144 via Device Manager
2. Shut Down
3. Remove 144
4. Insert 165
5. Boot up
6. Windows does a restart
7. Good to go

Easy as pie, anyone who tells you to reinstall windows is being ridiculous, there is NO reason to.

Very good info guys especially since i JUST reinstalled Windows like 2 weeks ago because of a fluke with the new NF4 chipset drivers! :rolleyes: I'm also planning on going to X2 with the WONDERFUL price drops! :D

EDIT: I don't see the CPU to remove under device manager. Am i just blind? Also any of you guys that did the switch to dual from single did you install the dual core drivers from AMD?!

EDIT2: Sorry to bring up a old dead thread i just realized how old it is after i posted as i used search to find the info! ;)

FWIW, I went from a socket a mobo to a socket 939 without a reinstall. Just clear out the old crap with the show_nonpresent_devices trick and you'll be good to.

Tazman2 said:
EDIT: I don't see the CPU to remove under device manager. Am i just blind? Also any of you guys that did the switch to dual from single did you install the dual core drivers from AMD?!

I didn't have to remove the cpu from the device manager when I did it. The OS simply realized that the new cpu wasnt the old and did its thing. Autodetected to ACPI Multiprocessor and also the cpu's in the system.

Silversierra said:
Note I did use windows xp home, not the pro everyone says you "need" for dual core.
not sure who says that, but home's real limitation is just that it only supports one socket.

hitokiri said:
I didn't have to remove the cpu from the device manager when I did it. The OS simply realized that the new cpu wasnt the old and did its thing. Autodetected to ACPI Multiprocessor and also the cpu's in the system.

Okay good to know. I should be getting mine tomorrow! :) I did however find a posting on xtremesys that describes the proper way of installing the hotfix and amd drivers for best performance so i may end up doing that! ;)

Back