• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Moving from software RAID to hardware RAID, also ATA -> SCSI...

  • Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

Guest
Ok below is what I am planning on doing and wanted to get everyones thoughts because I want this to go as smooth as possible. My server currently has the following drive configuration.

1 30GB IDE HDD which is currently partitioned into C: (OS) and D: (data)
2 18GB SCSI HDD RAID 1 with Windows 2003 software E: (programs)

I amhave this server at home and am going to be taking it to colocation soon so I want it to be more resilient. So I am going to do the following.

- Bought a LSI RAID SCSI LSI20320RKIT
- Setup RAID1 with the LSI
- Make the 18GB array into 8GB and 10GB partions
- Ghost C: (OS) to the 8GB SCSI partition
- Move D: (data) to the 10GB partition
- Make the 30GB IDE a plain data drive for non-crucial data
- Change the drive letters around

The end result I would want is the following:

C: = 8GB SCSI RAID1 (OS)
D: = 30GB IDE (data)
E: = 10GB SCSI RAID 1 (programs)

The reason for changing the drive letters is so the OS sees everything in the same place.
 
I have the same card here running a RAID1 of 36Gb's.
Setting up the array is very straight forward. Partioning is easy to, might want to do that from the current windows install. (actually, make sure the windows install has the scsi drivers too. *see note)
But before you create the R1 array, where is the data that is currently on those drives going to go? I believe the array creation will destroy any data on the drives, you'll want to save it somewhere else.
Another issue i see is the Ghosting. You'll need a DOS boot disc with the LSI drivers for ghost to see the array. And i'm not sure what version of ghost you'll need for 'array' support, sometimes it is picky. I usually pull my scsi drives out and ghost them in a spare machine i have with an Adaptec 2940UW because i have a floppy laying here with Win95 & the drivers i need ready to go.

*note: I see one big issue: You're moving Windows boot drive from an onboard IDE chipset to a PCI SCSI card. I'm not sure how well that will work. I've moved it from SCSI card to card before, but not from IDE -> scsi. You may end up with an "INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE" BSoD, though 2003 has 'played along' nicer than 2k and NT4 did.
 
Yes, I am particularly worried about this move and want to do as much as possible to research before I do it. Before I do any of this I am going to backup, backup again, and backup one more time. Here is a little more detail on what I am planning on doing.

I will isntall the SCSI card first, boot up and install drivers.

I will delete all the data from the current RAID1 and break the mirror. I will then reformat both 18GB hard drives.

I will then have the drivers on the hard drive and floppy and 2 fresh 18GB SCSI drives.

However, should I partition the 2 18GB drives before I create the array or create the array then partiton it?
 
SnowPunk98 said:
However, should I partition the 2 18GB drives before I create the array or create the array then partiton it?
Create the array, then partition it. I'm 99.999% sure this card (and almost all hardware RAID cards) will destroy everything on the drives when it creates the array.

If you're on some kind of time table, you can empty the 2 x 18Gb drives, create the array through the controllers BIOS, boot into the existing Windows Install and then partition them. Then once you're ready to ghost the array and partitions are already done.

Also make sure you throw the LSI CIMBrowser on the machine once all is said and done. I've noticed the card's BIOS won't tell you the array is degraded when you first turn the machine on.
 
I need to have this done by Thursday but I dont get the LSI card till probably tomorrow. So tonight I will be backing up and preparing. I just hope this goes right because I dont want to be rebuilding my server in a few days after I just did it.
 
Card should be here today, last night I backed up everything I should need.
 
Back
Top