Moving from CCFL backlight to thin LED a Stepdown?

Which 27 inch display is best for gaming


  • Total voters
    7

maverick786us

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
2,416
I am looking for a 27 inch display (@ 2560 X 1400). So I came across the review of Apple Cinema Display. I like everything about this display. Its glossy display, LED backlight, inbuilt webcam and mic. But in the review they have clearly mention that some issues with color gameout and the fact that moving from CCFL to Backlight to LED is like a stepdown. How much does these things matter while gaming?
 
None of the above. LED back-lighting =thinner bezels and power savings. The gamut is fine on the LED backlit displays and does not affect gaming.

The sp2208wfp is glossy, I highly doubt you will like the grainy anti-glare coating that the matte IPS panels use

Get one of the models mentioned here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/...g-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

These have better performance than the ACD (improved contrast and the Catleap supports up to 100hz with custom timings) and they cost 50% less than the other models.

There is also a thread about them here on [H].
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

If you have more questions post in the official thread here since many people will be able to answer.

I made a post on oc.net which goes over the performance of these models and compares them to the S27A850D
http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/...ian-qh270-and-catleap-q270/2020#post_16689214
 
Last edited:
IMO the bigger issue with LED is the flicker. I think the LEDs flicker at ~500Hz while a cold cathode will be more like 5KHz; I can't discern the flicker directly, but my eyes definitely get more strained when using an LED display for long periods of time.
 
typical CCFL operate it's PWM pulse at 175Hz frequency, same goes for LED displays. Some use forms of filtering and those are best.

flickering is rarely issue. Some people seem bothered with it. Problably they never used 50Hz PAL CRTs :D
 
step down , matters in what your looking for . . . for color and greyness scale , yes sir if your not talking a led full scaling , which even then get bad with haloing , if my screen was available ccfl i trade it hands down without a blink
 
step down , matters in what your looking for . . . for color and greyness scale , yes sir if your not talking a led full scaling , which even then get bad with haloing , if my screen was available ccfl i trade it hands down without a blink

My main purpose is to play games at 27 inch display. I seldom design although I use photoshop sometimes so don't know how much RGB and greyness scale will matter but will I feel huge difference in gaming?
 
typical CCFL operate it's PWM pulse at 175Hz frequency, same goes for LED displays. Some use forms of filtering and those are best.

flickering is rarely issue. Some people seem bothered with it. Problably they never used 50Hz PAL CRTs :D

Hmm. Well, I don't think it's placebo - I couldn't figure out what made some displays hurt my eyes until I realized all the ones that bothered me were LED backlit. I was told by someone that CCFLs operated at a higher frequency, and I never really questioned it. I guess it could be that CCFLs lose less light between cycles compared to an LED (kind of like incandescent vs LED).

I cannot watch TV on CRTs for more than 30 minutes or CRT without my eyes burning and tearing up quite a bit. Idk, I've been sensitive to that kind of thing since I was a little kid... probably why I watched way less TV compared to my peers.
 
Back
Top