Moving files in Windows XP

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a bunch of pictures that we have taken with our digital camera and when the camera software saves the images it saves each day as a separate directory...i.e.

2006_01_01
2006_02_01
2006_03_01

We have tons of pictures and I would like to move like all of the pictures from the year 2006 into one single directory, 2007 into a single directory...etc. Is there a way Windows XP (or some other software) can move all of the images from all of these sub directories into one single directory?

All I want in the yearly directories are just the images from that year. That way I can view them thumbnails and find pictures easily.

Right now I have to select each individual directory and then select thumbnails for each directory to view those pictures...very time consuming.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Open the pictures folder, then hit CTRL+F and type 2006*.* and press enter, it should list all files starting with 2006, once the list is done, select them all and move to wherever you need, do the same for 2007*.*, etc

Open the pictures folder, then hit CTRL+F and type 2006*.* and press enter, it should list all files starting with 2006, once the list is done, select them all and move to wherever you need, do the same for 2007*.*, etc

No good. All that does it find all of the 2006 subdirectories, not the individual pictures. :(

use 2006*.jpg instead. Then use CTRL-A to select all of them, then CTRL-X to cut them, then CTRL-V to paste into whatever folder you choose.

A solution going forward is to organize your pictures manually, rather than letting some bundled crap do it for you. None of that software is ever needed. My wife makes a folder for each event, and she simply copies the files over to that folder. She uses Photoshop Elements to handle the quick batch renaming, but there are other free apps to do this.

It doesn't help know, but going forward, it makes things much much easier.

Back