Moving cursor while typing???

Fire488

Limp Gawd
I have the Gateway P7811 FX and I am having an annoying problem of late. It has to do with the keyboard I believe. When i start to type in a document or in a forum, the cursor will move back somewhere in the text and fonts will start going there. Whatever I am typing is now screwed. Random letters do this as well. anyone ever have this happen?

Are you sure your hand is not bumping,touching the touchpad. A problem I had when getting accustomed to my notepad was as I typed the palm of the right hand would just touch the touchpad meaning my cursor would click where ever the mouse was pointing.

I have been conscious of that and making sure that I don't do that. Good thought though. The touch pad is recessed too.

You don't have any remote access enabled or used? Small probability of it actually being someone remote screwing around with your laptop, though I doubt it lol :(
Tried reinstalling drivers?

This happens with my Thinkpad, too. Moving the red nub into a corner of the screen and being careful not to even graze it makes the problem go away.

I'll give that a try moving the cursor to the corner. I also have a Razer Lachesis mouse and Nostromo N52te gamepad hooked up. I wonder if that may be a problem. I will try again after removing them both.
Thanks to all.

i re-installed the touch pad drivers to see if that would help. I also have been watching my thumb more as this seems to be the biggest culpret. i'm still looking... TY

Hm ... OP is your laptop on a flat surface when you experience these problems?

u have to turn off the touchpad in order to stop that, there should be a hotkey to do it mine is fn+f9, and then itll stop, itll constantly do it until you turn it off.

strangely enough, after re-installing the drivers for the touchpad it worked. No more problems! Don't know why, but that's computers for ya. Thanks to all that helped.

I found the same issue with the Asus EEE 1000 - and the size of the k/b combined with the placement of the touchpad caused me to keep dropping my thumbs on the touchpad at random. Took a couple of hours to figure that one out. Its a matter of a different hand position than you'd use on a normal k/b. After a week, it rarely happens now (its simply a bit of practice).

depending on your drivers you might be able to disable the touchpad when typing. The catch is that it will remain disabled for a (user defined) period of time after you stop, but in my case it was preferable to having to try and relearn how to type for the 3% of the time I'm using the offending laptop.

I reinstalled the touch pad drivers and it seemed to repair the glitch. Thanks to all that helped.

Back