Moving ADSL modem to another room & outlet: don't work

Presently, I have an adsl-modem attached and working on a desktop. I need to move the adsl-modem into an outbuilding which has a working phone jack in it. This move is required so I can set up my 7 comp network out there.

I have already attempted this move, but to no avail. I do not get an adsl signal on the adsl-modem. I also attached this adsl-modem to another phone jack in the house to see if the adsl-modem would get the adsl signal but also to no avail. Of course, all attempts at configuring the adsl-modem and ipconfig did not work in the outbuilding computer.

So I phoned tech-support of my adsl-provider. Tech-support there says that I need to have a field-technician come out to my residence (house) at $48 per hour, min. 2 hour call, to move the 'hardwired outlet' to the outbuilding. No go I told them.

I was also told that I cannot extend the telephone cable any, as there is a 6 ft maximum limit. Tech-support said I could leave the adsl-modem where it is, and run an ethernet cable to the outbuilding.

My question to this group, is there a manual somewhere as to instruct me on how to wire the outbuilding outlet just like the outlet that it is presently connected to?

Google is not my friend tonight, I went through 6 pages of links before the links became non-applicable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ciao for now .......
GwilyaGwees

edit: clarified this is so I can setup my network in the outbuilding.

GwilyaGwees said:
Presently, I have an adsl-modem attached and working on a desktop. I need to move the adsl-modem into an outbuilding which has a working phone jack in it. This move is required so I can set up my 7 comp network out there.

I have already attempted this move, but to no avail. I do not get an adsl signal on the adsl-modem. I also attached this adsl-modem to another phone jack in the house to see if the adsl-modem would get the adsl signal but also to no avail. Of course, all attempts at configuring the adsl-modem and ipconfig did not work in the outbuilding computer.

So I phoned tech-support of my adsl-provider. Tech-support there says that I need to have a field-technician come out to my residence (house) at $48 per hour, min. 2 hour call, to move the 'hardwired outlet' to the outbuilding. No go I told them.

I was also told that I cannot extend the telephone cable any, as there is a 6 ft maximum limit. Tech-support said I could leave the adsl-modem where it is, and run an ethernet cable to the outbuilding.

My question to this group, is there a manual somewhere as to instruct me on how to wire the outbuilding outlet just like the outlet that it is presently connected to?

Google is not my friend tonight, I went through 6 pages of links before the links became non-applicable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ciao for now .......
GwilyaGwees

edit: clarified this is so I can setup my network in the outbuilding.

Unscrew the working jack and look at the wiring punchdowns. You're only using a single pair. Not difficult to track it and repunch at a different location. Are these other ports you're trying it on dead (meaning no dial tone)? If they're live on the same phone number then you should have no issues bringing this back up.

shade91 said:
Unscrew the working jack and look at the wiring punchdowns. You're only using a single pair. Not difficult to track it and repunch at a different location. Are these other ports you're trying it on dead (meaning no dial tone)? If they're live on the same phone number then you should have no issues bringing this back up.

Thanks dude! Ok, I'll assume 'punchdowns' mean how the wiring is held in place. I will look at the present adsl-jack and see how that is wired different from the other two working jacks I have been using.

And no, the outbuilding-jack and the third jack that I also used to test are live and on the same phone number .

I read in some of the pages I found during my google search last night about this matter, that there were some warnings about electricity and some kind of thing (voltage regulator?) on the telephone wires before it comes into the house. Is electricity something I need to worry about? I would not want to be electrocuted again (not from this situation, but at another time in my life).

I would like clarification on the electricity thing before I actually start to touch wires.

Thanks again, Ciao for now .......
GwilyaGwees

Back