moving a raid0 set to a different controller

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
1,303
Hey all,
Is it possible to move a RAID0 on my current hardware raid controller to a new hardware controller while keeping the data on it intact?
Can I just unplug it from my current one to a new one?
What would be necessary to do keep all my data?

I would be moving from a 'Silicon Image SiI 0680 RAID', And I don't know what I will be moving to, I just want to know if it is possible.
And the reason I wouldn't just use the same card is, the card doesn't have drivers for OSX

And I went to google, and the googles do nothing
 
sigmend said:
What would be necessary to do keep all my data?

Back all your data up.
Break the array when you move it.
Zero fill the drives to clean them.
Rebuild the array.
Reinstall all your data.

Moveing an array between controler is like moveing an OS hard drive between mobo's.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont.
The closer the controllers are then the more likely they are to work.
Also if you know your stripe & cluster size and can get the new controller set up the same then maybe it will work better.

Luck............. :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif
 
Tigerbiten said:
Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont.
The closer the controllers are then the more likely they are to work.
That's going to be about the best advise you'll get.
There's an extremely high chance it won't work.
 
if your attempting to migrate between two different controller chips the odds are heavily against you (and different brands impossible)
on the other hand if they are the same chips it can be done
but Id have to look up the recommended proceedure for that chip
 
Back
Top