Movies to DVD-R

pcperson

n00b
I just picked up a stack of 50 DVD-R's on black friday for 7 bucks so I figured i would try to copy some DVDs i own. Im looking for a way to copy the DVD's to my computer, shrink them down so they fit on a regular DVD, and then have in a format i can burn with Nero or use another program to burn them. I have a program that will copy the movie to my computer, but I'd like your suggestions on what to use to see if I'm on the right track. Thanks for the help

Duster said:
dvd shrink is what your looking for

also DVD decrypter is good to have... google search it

I second those two programs....the best money can buy!!! :D

....it's free, in case someone doesn't know that!

if you want better quality this is what i do:

1. DVD decryptor - File mode

2. Intervideo DVD copy - select fit to one disc, and choose movie only or full disc, better quality with movie only, uses less compression.

3. burn with Nero in DVD-video mode or CloneDVD software

then you have a great backup, that simple. Takes about 30 minutes a dvd.

I use DVDshrink. For DVD9 disks, select "reauthor" and copy over only the main video file. Uncheck all the extra language components (everything except 5.1 english). Then go to "select start/end frames" and delete the credits (they take up a surprisingly large amount of space)

90% of DVD9 disks can be ripped above the 90% compression mark and almost all above the 80% mark :)

You can also use a program called Folder2Iso to turn VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders into a disk image... useful if you have lots of hard drive space ;)

Everything to start you on the path of making DVD backups of your own movies is here.

Well, I spent my money on DVD decrypter a while ago..... but I just picked up a copy of DVD Shrink. I did the first movie as ISO from DVD Decryp. and then burned with DVD Shrink. I figured the whole ISO thing was a waste of time and space so im going straight from drive to drive in DVD Shrink. Any settings I can change to increase quality or anything? I haven't even noticed any problems with visuals or audio being bad, i'm just curious. Seems to go fine, no coasters or bad files yet. thanks for the tip.

pcperson said:
Well, I spent my money on DVD decrypter a while ago..... but I just picked up a copy of DVD Shrink. I did the first movie as ISO from DVD Decryp. and then burned with DVD Shrink. I figured the whole ISO thing was a waste of time and space so im going straight from drive to drive in DVD Shrink. Any settings I can change to increase quality or anything? I haven't even noticed any problems with visuals or audio being bad, i'm just curious. Seems to go fine, no coasters or bad files yet. thanks for the tip.

I was just kidding about having to pay a price for DVD Shrink or Decrypt, they are both freeware. So hopefully you didn't get ripped off! I usually reauthor the disc, and I get rid of the foreign subtitles and the Foreign Audio, and usually the extra's, that will on average give me around 75-85% and sometimes no compression at all.

DVD shrink is IMO by far the best. You can get rid of all the extra shit you don't need like: menus, bonus material, previews, FBI warnings :cool:, and have it just play the movie as soon as you pop the disc in. The compression is then about 70% -80% on most movies, versus 50%-60% with all the extra crap.

Add another vote for DVD Shrink. It's quick, flawless, and free. DVD Shrink and Nero is what you'll need. DVD Decrypter has ruined every install I've tried it on.

rhouck said:
I use DVDshrink. For DVD9 disks, select "reauthor" and copy over only the main video file. Uncheck all the extra language components (everything except 5.1 english). Then go to "select start/end frames" and delete the credits (they take up a surprisingly large amount of space)

90% of DVD9 disks can be ripped above the 90% compression mark and almost all above the 80% mark :)

You can also use a program called Folder2Iso to turn VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders into a disk image... useful if you have lots of hard drive space ;)

This man speaketh the truth.

I'm not sure why everyone is so hardup on dvd decryptor; I didn't reinstall it after my last format and have backed up for 50 DVDs since then, from 10 years old to brand new, and none have given me problems with DVD Shrink. It just works so damn well :)

as a slight OT... does anyone use the advanced features for encoding with DVD Shrink? If so, which do you use?

Back