movies lag in xp

Vriess

Limp Gawd
been trying to watch movies on my laptop lately, they lag very badly and the sound is way behind. Ive installed the newest codecs, and used a bunch of diffrent players. Its a 2.66 ghz inspiron running xp sp1. Ive run adware/spyware and the cpu seems to stay under 10 percent normally. This comp seems fine otherwise and I cant seem to figure this one out. I have only tried one .avi file so its possible that the encoding of the file is the problem but it runs fine on my desktop. :confused:

How much memory do you have?

Another thing to look at is the hard drive. With my desktop, the hard drive LED is always flashing constantly when a movie is played. I guess it's writing to cache or something. I know laptops have slower hard drives then desktops. But the fact that the RPM on the hard drive is slow shouldn't be a matter. Let us know how much memory you have and we can go from there. Also how much memory is being used at the time while your playing the movie would help too. The DVD drive could be another factor. This laptop brand new? The drive might be shot as well. Let us know.

I suspect it's a codec problem, get a program called gspot and run it on the .avi, find out what codec it uses, then uninstall the codec and see if that helps, you may need to do it more than once.. I had this problem once, I had to reinstall XP to fix it, perplexed the hell out of me since I installed the same stuff twice and it only happened once.

I think theres 256 megs of ram in the system. I will try to uninstall whatever codec its using as this may be a problem point. Its not a dvd its a .avi file so its not a drive problem.

Vriess said:
I think theres 256 megs of ram in the system. I will try to uninstall whatever codec its using as this may be a problem point. Its not a dvd its a .avi file so its not a drive problem.

Then it is a codec problem.

Is there another codec program I should use? Nimo doesnt seem to be working. Ive run Gspot and it says I have the necessary codecs installed.

I do have 38 processes running in the backround which is a lot I guess, I will run a new virus checker since my last one didnt find anything (norton). How do I find out how much system memory im using while watching the movie?

Vriess said:
Is there another codec program I should use? Nimo doesnt seem to be working. Ive run Gspot and it says I have the necessary codecs installed.

It's not a matter of having the necessary codec installed, you have to understand, many codecs do the same thing (decode mpeg2 for instance) but many of them are buggy, so you don't want them installed. You need to uninstall the codec that gspot says this program uses, and see if another takes over the function that acts better, if not you need to find one on the net. I use ace mega codec 6. But it has a few buggy codecs in it, and it took me a lot of installing/uninstalling/testing to see which ones I wanted. If you want to use ace's, I can give you a list of codecs in it that are broke.. On the other hand, maybe you can just tell us which codec the file uses and we can help you find a replacement.
Lastly, it may not even be the codec, it may be a corrupted windows install.

Back