Movies in iTunes --> Sync to iPod !! Interesting Error Message !!

Everyone pretty much knows that iTunes has the capability to play movies, because the iTunes Music Store can play movie trailers and music videos within the app. So I was thinking, hey why not drag and drop some quicktime movies into an iTunes playlist and see if it will play. It would be a great way to organize movie clips, in addition to music.

At exactly the same moment as I was thinking that, I thought that if movies did play within iTunes why couldn't they be synced to an iPod? But before I got too far ahead of myself, I dropped a movie trailer into a playlist and hit play. Interestingly enough, the audio from the quicktime movie played within iTunes, and the album art was the first frame of the movie, but no window or anything popped up to actually show the movie.

Still kinda dope though, so I thought I'd try a sync with the iPod. And a very interesting message appeared:

ipod_video_error.jpg

Pretty customized error message, which brings the next logical question. Where can I get an iPod that can play this type of file? I know there is no framework for legally downloading actual movies, so it makes an iPod video a long-term deal for the mainstream, but if they are already coding in this specific of an error message, maybe its not that far off.

Well, we'll see. I'm really waiting until you can play every Zelda game ever produced on an iPod.

Oh, I also tried going into the hidden folders on the iPod and manually transfering a quicktime movie into its subfolders, which yielded nothing.

i dont believe the screen can handle the refresh rate needed for a movie.

I might be wrong ( as thom york said)

muzzle79 said:
i dont believe the screen can handle the refresh rate needed for a movie.

I might be wrong ( as thom york said)

The iPod photo screen has the capability to play more than enough FPS along with video as evidenced by the video presented by lowspinnin in an earlier post. Maybe he will be so kind as to post the link again.

interesting error message though. did you try that with an iPod Photo or your 4G?

I hate to break it to you, but it's not a customized error message. You get one exactly like that if you try and copy a WMA file onto an iPod. iTunes recoginizes the file as something the iPod can't play and hits you with that error. It's not a hint at apple thinking of making a video iPod, sorry.

well that and the fact that the pvp market is next to nill according to articles run by gizmodo and the like... so making a product for a market that may occupy 5% of the portable field... vs the ipod's 80+% dominance of the mp3 market and 60+% dominance of the mobile audio market... and yeah... you get the drill. having an ipod in your pockets playing music while you do something = easy and convenient. having to hold it while you watch a feature length film on a tiny screen... erm no.

-esr

yeah, but at the same time how much sense does it make to look at photos on a tiny screen? i mean come on its like looking at pictures on a mobile phone screen. you only do it because you can. and it would not suprise me that since they released the beast that is the ipod photo that there will be an ipod movie down the pipeline... just because they can. of course it would only be able to play quicktime movies encoded in mp4, (hehe) but i can see it happening if for no reason other than the fact that they would be able to say "look what the ipod can do, can your zen do that?"

Back