movie HD storage

bug

Weaksauce
11.11.24 With isp imposing data caps, it is necessary to back-up my collection of movies as redownloading all of them now would be about impossible. What precautions should one take to safeguard the stored data backed up hd besides the esd bag the new HD came in. Like for long term inert storage 5 to 20 years these 2 and 3TB sata3 HD; store in copper boxes? in plastic survival containers buried in the back yard or stacked in a fallout shelter? If a nearby EMP happens, what should have been done to preserve the data on the hd, and does one also have to have complete sets of backup parts to rebuild a PC, since most people's desktops/laptops are not ruggedized.

11.11.24 With isp imposing data caps, it is necessary to back-up my collection of movies as redownloading all of them now would be about impossible. What precautions should one take to safeguard the stored data backed up hd besides the esd bag the new HD came in. Like for long term inert storage 5 to 20 years these 2 and 3TB sata3 HD; store in copper boxes? in plastic survival containers buried in the back yard or stacked in a fallout shelter? If a nearby EMP happens, what should have been done to preserve the data on the hd, and does one also have to have complete sets of backup parts to rebuild a PC, since most people's desktops/laptops are not ruggedized.

If a nearby EMP happens, are you really going to be worried about 10 year old movies?

If an EMP happens, you have much bigger concerns than your movie collection.

In 20 years you will not find a computer with SATA connections. I would suggest that you set you sights at 3 years and copy your data every 3 years to new media.

MPAA and RIAA say that you mearly buy the "right" to watch the material, a lease if you will. The actual data and medium are of no consequence. So in a couple years, surely they will just let you get a new copy. They are looking out for you.

BTW, a standard envelope can hold up to 1 ounce through the USPS. What I do to get around my ISP is have my service mail me the bytes. You can fit alot of bytes into 1 ounce, well at least more then you would think.

BTW, a standard envelope can hold up to 1 ounce through the USPS. What I do to get around my ISP is have my service mail me the bytes. You can fit alot of bytes into 1 ounce, well at least more then you would think.

True, but packet loss becomes a big problem. Fedex or UPS helps with that, though, since they have better tracking.

Back