• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Movie file format?

terminalbmx55

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
451
I have this movie file, it says its format is AVI, btu when I try and play it with Divx it says "unknown format." Is there a way I can figure out what format it is or what codec I need for it?

Thanks
 
After I posted the post above this one I studied the GSpot program and then downloaded all the codecs it had displayed on the program window. I then restarted my computer and the icon to the movie file had changed from a default Windows Vista movie icon to a screenshot from the movie. I then started the movie up in Divx and then again in Windows Media Player, they both played the same weird stuff, all the movie plays is an upside down countdown then black and a bunch of weird sounds. Could this be due to an install of the wrong codec or am I experiencing what is known as "pirating" gone wrong?
 
It might help if you posted a screenshot so we can see which codec is being used, and if you have it installed or not.

You could also try playing it with another player like VLC or Media Player Classic.

I would also recommend downloading + installing ffdshow

As for the program, the part you want to look at is on the right side where it says "Codec" and the status of it:

gspotcodec.JPG
 
It might help if you posted a screenshot so we can see which codec is being used, and if you have it installed or not.

Here is a screen shot of my results

GSpotDetails.jpg



You could also try playing it with another player like VLC or Media Player Classic.

I played it with both those players as well, along with 3 others.

I would also recommend downloading + installing ffdshow

I also did that.


As for the program, the part you want to look at is on the right side where it says "Codec" and the status of it:

gspotcodec.JPG

Thats exactly what I did and then went to download the ffdshow where I received the codec. Was it the right codec? IDK Could there be a wrong codec that might be stopping me from veiwing the movie? Thats what I'd liek to find out.
 
The methods you tried should have worked. It is possible that this could be a "bad rip"
 
The methods you tried should have worked. It is possible that this could be a "bad rip"

I think you are correct, actually you must be because I have tried everything. Thanks for the help Vile.


Greatly Appreciated!
-Rob
 
Back
Top