Guys,
I just had the un-thinkable happen.
I'm building a new system to replace my Dual Xeon LV PC-DL setup.
Well, I had 2 160GB drives RAID 0'd for my storage drive on that PC-DL's onboard Promise controller.
I'm moving them over to a DFI Lanparty SLI DR Expert that has a Silicon Image 3114 onboard controller.
I figured that I'd have to re-build the array, re-format and all that junk, so I didn't mark the drives as I pulled them or anything.
I just plugged them into adjacent SATA plugs on the motherboard.
Lo and behold.....
The Silicon Image 3114 recognized the Promise RAID data on the drives and just started working.
No muss, No fuss, all the data is there. And I needed to get another beer.... Just to calm my nerves, you know, because my world has been turned upside down.
I know that you can move an array between the same brand and model controller, and even different models of the same brand, sometimes. This is the FIRST time I've ever moved an array between 2 completely different brand of controllers and it work. FIrst time, with no rebuilding or anything. Hell, I didn't even go into the Silicon Image's setup page.
I didn't even try to plug the drives in to the controller in the correct order. I don't even know if they are in the correct order.
But, it works.
I wonder if this lucky streak will extend to the lotery?????

I just had the un-thinkable happen.
I'm building a new system to replace my Dual Xeon LV PC-DL setup.
Well, I had 2 160GB drives RAID 0'd for my storage drive on that PC-DL's onboard Promise controller.
I'm moving them over to a DFI Lanparty SLI DR Expert that has a Silicon Image 3114 onboard controller.
I figured that I'd have to re-build the array, re-format and all that junk, so I didn't mark the drives as I pulled them or anything.
I just plugged them into adjacent SATA plugs on the motherboard.
Lo and behold.....
The Silicon Image 3114 recognized the Promise RAID data on the drives and just started working.
No muss, No fuss, all the data is there. And I needed to get another beer.... Just to calm my nerves, you know, because my world has been turned upside down.
I know that you can move an array between the same brand and model controller, and even different models of the same brand, sometimes. This is the FIRST time I've ever moved an array between 2 completely different brand of controllers and it work. FIrst time, with no rebuilding or anything. Hell, I didn't even go into the Silicon Image's setup page.
I didn't even try to plug the drives in to the controller in the correct order. I don't even know if they are in the correct order.
But, it works.
I wonder if this lucky streak will extend to the lotery?????
