Moved from AMD to Nvidia under Windows 8, Failure!, Remembered why I dislike Nvidia

egandt

n00b
First off I use to use Nvidia all the time, then I moved to ATI and followed them to AMD, while not always the fastest I always had good luck with them, now I found I needed CDUA so I bought an Nvidia 680 to replace my aging AMD 5750 (its over kill, but was a good price). Thus I:
1. Uninstalled AMD drivers, shutdown
2. Removed 5750
3. Installed new Nvidia 680
4. Rebooted
All went well, system found the card installed default drivers worked great (so we know the card/Windows are fine).
5. Downloaded the latest 310.90 drivers, and installed them (again all was fine no errors or issues), Nvidia installer removed the Windows version, and installed Nvidia drivers without issue, then asked to reboot, did so as requested.

Here is when Nvidia reminded me as to why I disliked them and moved to ATi/AMD, system boots up (System is Windows 8 Professional) and then gives me a black screen after say 5 minutes I get a mouse against a black background (so we know Video drivers are loaded), after another 5 it blinks as if changing resolution (might be trying to suspend screens would be the correct amount of time), then after another 5 it does it again, sadly after 5 reboots and 3 failed safe mode attempts (thanks Microsoft for that), I left it for 30 minutes, no change, so now I'm stuck, great big unusable system.
My options seem to be reinstall Windows (that is about 10 hours or 2 to 3 days to finish correctly lots of junk to configure and I loss my free Media Center :-( ), remove the 680 series card replace with the 5750 and try again (seems like a waste of time), or what, that's the problem, Windows/Nvidia is giving me few other options?

Now I've restored a previous backup and tried again, guess what same issues, Windows Nvidia driver is fine, Nividia's latest drive (black screen), so really who's fault is it, guess Nivdia's at fault here!, and guess 10 hours of my life is lost, wonder if Nvidia will pay me for it as well as a new Media Center license?

One Disgusted customer (maybe),
ERIC

I had a similar issue installing my 670 on windows 8.I had to move the card to another pci slot. Then I installed with the driver cd and updated drivers.
After all this I was able to move the card back to the slot I wanted it in and reinstalled it.

Doing a fresh install with driver cd avoided the black screen for me. It was ok to update drivers after,no black screen that way.

Wish I could, but I need the CUDa processing, so Nvidia it is. Anyways here how I fixed it.

As I said both cards (Nvidia and AMD) work at the same time, restored then booted up with the Nvidia and AMD present, allowed both drivers to be installed, switched outputs to Nvidia, rebooted came up. Then removed AMD and rebooted and it worked. Kind of odd, but what works works.

I had a similar issue without moving from AMD card. It could be Microsoft (Win 8 Pro) but it happened right after I installed the driver without clicking the "clean" checkbox. I hate nvidia but they do give more options :(

Wow, I usually don't have to deal with shit like that, unless I'm running Linux. (Which is forgivable, because it's free, FFS) I would expect a hell of a lot better experience than this from Microsoft and Nvidia.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8... I love how people bash it without knowing... I've used both ATI/Nvidia (6850, 6870, 7950, GTX260, GTX460, and GTX660ti) for testing on my machine in my sig and haven't had a single issue. There's plenty of other people (so you can't really say I was just lucky.) that haven't had an issue either...

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8... I love how people bash it without knowing... I've used both ATI/Nvidia (6850, 6870, 7950, GTX260, GTX460, and GTX660ti) for testing on my machine in my sig and haven't had a single issue. There's plenty of other people (so you can't really say I was just lucky.) that haven't had an issue either...

That doesn't make this any more acceptable. People should never have to re-install their entire operating system over a graphics driver, no matter how rare the case.

This is a common issue going from amd to nivida or vice versa. Rule of thumb is you need to do a fresh install of your os. If you would of had a nivida card in first then put in a amd card it would do the same thing.

I go between AMD and Nvidia every other generation it seems. And I haven't run into this problem in the last few years, but it has hit me a time or two in my Windows XP days. I don't think the issue is either AMD or Nvidia's fault. Not sure what the underlying cause of the issue is, but if I were to guess there is either some pre-existing issue with the OS or that the previous card's drivers didn't remove cleanly. I mean no offense to AMD fans, but it wouldn't surprise me if AMD's drivers didn't uninstall cleanly, left some crap and caused problems with the Nvidia drivers.

I agree with Shadohh, Driver Cleaner is a good idea when switching between brands of cards.

^ x1000!!!

Win8???

Windows 8 is actually quite good. I've been using it for almost a month with no issues. Performance is great and have had zero issues with my 7850 related to the OS. I also used a 550 ti for a week with no issues. Also, I like the new OS changes (new start menu, task manager, file copy, faster boot times, etc). So much hate for windows 8 that is uncalled for.

Little nuisances you get sorted with some effort is miles different than waiting and waiting and waiting for good drivers.

I think I might have a version of this problem:

1. Running a Nvidia Quadro 4000 under Windows 7 Pro.

2. Upgraded to Windows 8.0 when 8.1 GA'd

3. Immediately upgraded to 8.1 through store.

4. Replaced Quadro with AMD HD 7950 (All ran good.)

5. 2 Months later noticed all the Nvidia files were still installed.

6. Removed them and rebooted. (Bios screens were normal)

7. Both screens go BLACK after the ASUS logo and one flickers a bit.

8. Noticed that the mouse cursor with pin wheel does does display.

9. Only recovery was boot from an 8.1 disk, and load restore point returning
to where I started. Good running system with extra Nvidia
drivers/programs showing under Programs and Features. I've set "Advanced
Boot Options" so on/off "Safe Mode" is not an issue.

Do you think running driver clean (DDUv1262) on both flavors of drivers and rebooting
with auto device driver updates off would resolve this problem?

Never had any sorts of problems with win8 on fact on most game i get a little better performance.

Going from nnvidia to amd on win7 can make you're head explode too, there's many issues. I always remove all the drivers in safe mode when switching brand, since win xp...

But since it's the hipster way of hating on a os, ill chose not to join the trend lol

Backup your stuff and do a clean install.....shouldn't take more then 24 hours =)

670 with no problems

Wonder if thats what happened to me when I updated to the latest drivers back when I had my 660 Ti. The installer completely wrecked things and I had to wipe my OS for first time since I installed Windows 7 when it first came out!

Generally though, with regards to topic, one shouldn't have issues switching between the two. I do it often and I've reinstalled an OS maybe twice in the past 7 years. Then again I do tend to like to let windows install its driver first before I upgrade to latest, probably is what has shielded me judging by that help post.

Last edited:
Back