moved comp to different room, now won't start.

Dracul

Gawd
its been a while since i've been on here, but anyways, my main computer went down tonight, and i can't figure out why... pretty much what i did was, unhooked everything, moved furniture to different room, went to rehook up computer in new room, and it wouldn't work...

here is what i get.. the power switch on the front of the case does absolutely nothing now, if i turn it on and off at the power supply it will seem like it is starting up, except nothing really happens..

here is what i've tried so far... i've swapped out ram, swapped out video cards, and reset the cmos...

this really has me confused, and it almost seems to me like the motherboard just up n quit on me.. but i just have a hard time believing that..

cliffs
1. moved comp to different room in house
2. doesn't start
3. tried basic steps
4. ?

Odd, I have the same problem. I built my core 2 duo pc and gave my old hp to my parents. Now there are two computers in our den. It won't start unless I'm lucky, and never did that before (well, it would shut off whenever I plugged a power cord into an ide hard drive..), I'm figuring it's a power supply problem?

I suspect a power issue too.
Maybe there is a loose screw etc in the system that wasnt causing any harm until the PC was moved. Now its shorting out a rail?

Pull it apart and put back together, hopefully you'll find it.
While your at it, clean all the electrical contacts you can, in case its just a bad connection.

well now i'm even more confused... i tried swapping psu's with the one that was in my server, and it still didn't start up..

but now what i really don't understand, is that i put the server's power supply back in, and hooked it back up and now neither computer works...

the server will power up until that first initial beep, then shutdown..

and my main system still won't really do anything. its almost like its doing the same thing as the server is but it doesn't shutdown on its own...

neither computer gives me any video when it first starts up..

edit: did some more work, and i took the main system the whole way out of the case, set it on cardboard and powered it up... i got the same thing as in the case... also it just hit me that i didn't have any power switch hooked up, and it seems that both the main rig and my server are powering up as soon as i hit the power on the psu, and they don't really even need a power switch.. actually both the power and the reset switch do absolutely nothing.

on the main rig, i've swapped everything but the mainboard and the cpu cause i don't have spares layin around.. same goes for the server...

it almost seems that both motherboards and or cpu's have died on me from moving them across the room... which is real real weird.

wow that is fudged, but u MIGHT have shorted em out, sounds like a faulty outlet or something overloading them.... or really bad luck, try a diff outlet (move em back)

The ghosts know that computers are evil. They are protecting you and your family. The ghosts want you to read a book and "discuss" with other people in the house. Don't anger the ghosts. Throw out all of your petroleum based products, walk to work/school. Eat hemp.

Seriously, I'll echo two posts from above. Check your outlets with a lamp. If the lamp lights, remove and replace all of your molex power connectors, IDE/SATA cables, and double check the power button leads that go to the mobo (small pins).

well, i know the outlets are good, as i've run computers off of them before...

i think i may have figured it out... i'm thinking that the motherboard in the main rig shorted some how, killing itself and the psu.. and when i plugged the psu from the server into the main rig's motherboard it killed that psu as well..

this is the only semi-logical explanation i can think of... so now i have to come up with money for a motherboad and 2 power supply's.. :(

Dracul said:
well now i'm even more confused... i tried swapping psu's with the one that was in my server, and it still didn't start up..

but now what i really don't understand, is that i put the server's power supply back in, and hooked it back up and now neither computer works...

It looks like the PSU is the problem and has now killed 2 mobos!
Its possible anything could have been damaged, ie ram or cpu but given the odd powering up behaviour I suspect mobo.

well i've tried 3 different stick of ram so i don't think the ram is the problem..

i was kinda thinkin the reverse with the motherboard killing the power supply's..

what are the chances that the psu went bad before the motherboard? cause i've had several good motherboads just go bad on me, but only cheap power supply's have failed.. and this wasn't a generic powersupply..

so your sayin i probably have to buy 2 powersupply's and 2 motherboads? assuming everything else is still ok.

This is a tough scenario for you as you dont know if you can use anything with known working kit in case that gets damaged too.

It could of course be a total co-incidence that something else failed on your server at the same time.
What I dont want to do is advise you to plug in other kit but that leaves you nowhere.

Lets get back to basics then.
Can you unplug the PSU's from the PC and hotwire them (connect green to black) and measure each of the voltages:
+12V (yellow)
+5V (red)
+3.3V (orange)

Back