Move WUs from one system to another?

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
Has anyone done this successfully and received proper credit, etc?

Let's say I have a box that's seriously overloaded with WUs that might not get done in time; but have another box with zero WUs for said project. Is there some way I can shuffle WUs around to balance things out? Suspect it'll need to be like-for-like in regards to OS & BOINC versions. Beyond that, though, I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks! :)

I would like to know how to do this also. Don't think its possible though.

I can't help but wonder if there would be a way to move the WUs, disable network communications in BOINC, let the WUs complete, move back to original computer and report?

IIRC, I did this once in 2016 or 2017 Pentathlon and it reported error. What I did is to swap out the hard drive (include OS) and put a new hard drive. Somehow I'm speculating that the server has a record of which tasks were in your original hard drive which is tied ot that PC. When you click "update" command from BOINC, the server might check that you still have the tasks there so that the new task duration factor (to estimate your completing rate) can be updated. It couldn't find these tasks that tie to that PC. Maybe something that I did stupid but I never investigated this further.

What if you just moved the data, but kept the source data too. Then, when the other PC finished the tasks moved them back?

I believe you can move the tasks as long as the PC that pulled the work also reports the work. However, I've never tried and it is an awful lot of work.

Back