Move Windows 10 System Partition from HDD to SSD

cditty

Limp Gawd
I want to move a 50 Gig Windows 10 partition from a 1 TB HDD. The HDD is broken into a C & D partition.

What's the easiest way to do this? I know I need the system partitions to make it bootable. I thought about installing Windows 10 to the SSD and then cloning C to C.

Does anyone have any experience with whether that will work or not? Any alternative suggestions. After I get the OS on the SSD, I plan to delete the hidden partitions and C partition from the HDD and extend the current D partition.

Thanks.

Clonezilla comes to mind.

Your only issue is going to be the fact that most cloning packages maintain the partition size of the host, so you either have to work out how to resize the partition once it's applied to the new drive or learn to live with two partitions.

The partition size of the OS volume is far less than the SSD it is going on. My concern is the system partitions that go along with Windows 10. If I just clone C, the drive will not be bootable. Bird222, I am about to read your link.

Thank you both.

If you clone the drive it is an exact copy of the original, if the original is bootable the clone will be bootable - You don't need to do anything else.

Can't clone the whole drive, it is larger than the SSD. If you reread my original post, you will see my intentions. The C partition is only around 100 Gig, but the entire drive is 1 Terabyte. Trying to move system to 250GB SSD.

Clone the drive to another hard drive and then delete the d: partition. Clone the drive to the SSD and verify that it works. Once that is done. expand the d: partition to use the whole drive you cloned to and clone it back to the 1TB hard drive. No other way that I can think of doing this.

I must be confused. Why can't he just clone his OS partition to the new drive?

Clone the drive to another hard drive and then delete the d: partition. Clone the drive to the SSD and verify that it works. Once that is done. expand the d: partition to use the whole drive you cloned to and clone it back to the 1TB hard drive. No other way that I can think of doing this.

Thanks ManofGod. That didn't dawn on me. Excellent advice.

You can use a Cloning program and it will duplicate your HDD to your SSD, the two times I've had to do it I've used easeus partition master since it came with my SSD. also it can be used for extend partition.

you might have to run the Windows Experience Index tool once you get your SSD going as Windows might still think you're still running a regular spinner

Back