Move VCenter server to new domain

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
I'm in the middle of transitioning my home network over to Server 2012 Essentials, and decided to start with a fresh domain instead of trying to migrate my 2008R2 domain over. Everything has gone fine until I get to my vCenter server. I can get it joined to the domain, but after that the VMWare VirtualCenter Server service refuses to start. I've been combing through internet searches and can't seem to find a solution.

The server was configured to start with a domain admin account under the old domain. So when I changed domains, I changed the log on information for the service to a domain admin account in the new domain, no luck.

Event viewer throws up some Event ID 1000 evens for the service as well as a 7024 Event "service terminated with service-specific error The system cannot find the file specified.."

Anyone got advice on how to migrate it? I guess worst case I build a new vCenter server in the new domain and then just delete the old one.... but that seems a little drastic.

I'm in the middle of transitioning my home network over to Server 2012 Essentials, and decided to start with a fresh domain instead of trying to migrate my 2008R2 domain over. Everything has gone fine until I get to my vCenter server. I can get it joined to the domain, but after that the VMWare VirtualCenter Server service refuses to start. I've been combing through internet searches and can't seem to find a solution.

The server was configured to start with a domain admin account under the old domain. So when I changed domains, I changed the log on information for the service to a domain admin account in the new domain, no luck.

Event viewer throws up some Event ID 1000 evens for the service as well as a 7024 Event "service terminated with service-specific error The system cannot find the file specified.."

Anyone got advice on how to migrate it? I guess worst case I build a new vCenter server in the new domain and then just delete the old one.... but that seems a little drastic.

Kinda funny how you are a bit hesitant to rebuild/reinstall vCenter, but you set up a new domain instead of migrating, which is easy as pie. does the new domain admin account have rights to log in as a service?

Yeah, I knew someone would give me grief :p

The reason for the AD change was the AD environment had actually been migrated from 2003 before to 2008R2 and used quite extensively for testing in both environments so I really didn't want to migrate all that cruft over again...

Yeah, the new domain account I was trying to use has log on as a service rights, admin rights on the vcenter box (domain admin rights on the 2012 Essentials server).

I'll probably just build a new vCenter. I started working on setting up a vCSA earlier today and will probably move to that. Just don't like the "just build a new one" route. Like you said migrating my domain would have been easy... migrating a vcenter server should be too ;)

5.1? SSO is all confuzzled now, and probably the permissions part fo the VC database is now blank. :( We're fixing this soon, I promise.

5.1? SSO is all confuzzled now, and probably the permissions part fo the VC database is now blank. :( We're fixing this soon, I promise.

Thank goodness, I've got to build a new domain for name change and I'm just rebuilding vCenter from scratch rather then trying to deal with SSO. It was bad enough upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1 and losing all my permissions in the process.

Yep, it was 5.1. Oh well, I finished setting up the VSA. Only took 2 times before I starting reading guides to cancel the wizard and join it to the domain first, then restart the wizard. So 3rd time was the charm. That process needs to be fixed and streamlined ;) Didn't realized it was possible now to export/import vDS configurations either, so that was another delay as I recreated the the vDS, had to move all the VMs to a standard switch, migrate the hosts, then set them up on the new vDS.

So yeah, things weren't straight forward, but it was my home setup so some downtime was possible (after everyone else went to sleep).

:mad:

OK, I'm pulling my hair out with this. Since setting up the new vCenter appliance, I can't get my X8SIL-F IPMI information to configure properly. My X8ST3-F is configured fine. Even went as far as setting up another 2008R2 server with vCenter Server installed and tried adding the host to that server and IPMI won't configure there either.

I vaguely remember there were some snags I originally ran into, but my old vCenter server had been running for a couple years so I'm not sure what I did to get it working properly there.

Whenever I put the IPMI information in and click on OK I get the following error from VMWare...
"Call "HostSystem.UpdateIpmi" for object "192.168.1.152" on vCenter Server "bifrost2" failed."
and a status error message of
"A specified parameter was not correct"

It seems to not be communicating with the BMC module correctly because I get the same messages if I use an incorrect password or invalid user. I've verified that the IPMI is working via the web console as well as IPMIView from Supermicro.

Any got any ideas? This is the last piece to get everything up and running again the way it was....

Back