• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Move select Steam apps to SSD (Win7)

jonathonball

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,427
Just upgraded to a 128GB SSD and am extremely happy with it. It’s blazing fast compared to my RAID 0 (2 x WD Black 500GB). However, 128GB isn’t nearly enough space to install all my applications. My Steam folder alone weighs in at 153GB.

Unfortunately, Steam doesn’t allow you to pick and choose the locations where individual games are stored. Thus, I was forced to install Steam on my RAID.. negating any load time benefits I might have gotten from the SSD. Not willing to take that lying down, I did some research and found that you can create Unix style symlinks in the MS file system with a built-in called mklink.

Here is how I moved The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to the SSD.

On my machine the SSD holds Windows 7 Professional x64 in C:\
The two disk RAID 0 is E:\

I installed steam onto the RAID in this folder: E:\Program Files\Steam

I moved the following folder E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim to C:\Steam\skyrim then I opened a command line as Administrator and typed:

e:
cd “Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common”
mklink /j skyrim C:\Steam\skyrim


That created a “directory junction” in the steamapps folder that Steam reads as if the files were all together in the filesystem.

Hope this helps new SSD owners frustrated with Steams occasionally poor design decisions.

Link to my blog
 
Last edited:
You can also use Steam Mover, or one of the junction creating shell extensions like Link Shell Extension for non-Steam programs. Helps automate the process a little.
 
Back
Top