Move OS to new HDD

jslater25

Limp Gawd
In a similar question to thread 1495834, I'm curious about moving Windows 7 from one hard drive to another. Everything else will remain the same.

Here's the backstory:
Originally had Windows XP on a 75G 10K RPM drive. I bought a larger, slower HDD and in a brief moment of illogical fallacy, I decided to install Windows 7 on the larger, slower HDD. This was done in order to allow easy moving of Windows profiles, programs and a couple items like pictures, iTunes, and other misc. media.

Now, I've decided I'd much rather have the OS on the faster HDD.

Is there a way that I can clone the existing OS to the 10K drive with minimal headaches?
Or am I stuck spending a Saturday reinstalling Windows 7 and all programs fresh?

Acronis works well for this. I haven't checked but in the past they had a free demo on their website.

Thanks for the software suggestions. I'll look over those tonight. As for going from ~150 G to a 75 G drive, should that be a problem if the total amount of data is less than 75 and its all contiguous?

Thanks for the software suggestions. I'll look over those tonight. As for going from ~150 G to a 75 G drive, should that be a problem if the total amount of data is less than 75 and its all contiguous?

If it is a western digital drive data lifegaurd will do it,max blast for maxtor ,seatools for seagate.

all free but only works with there disk.

Back