Move old stuff to new computer?

jl514

Limp Gawd
How do I transfer all my documents from an old computer to a new computer? Basically what's the simpliest way to set up a makeshift home network between the two for high speed transferring?

thanks!

Couple of ways you could go about doing this. If both comps using XP try the File & Settings Transfer wizard. Or, hook both machines up with a crossover cable.

jl514 said:
How do I transfer all my documents from an old computer to a new computer? Basically what's the simpliest way to set up a makeshift home network between the two for high speed transferring?

thanks!

Well for starters... you could read the Networking Forum FAQ since it covers this question and about 8 other varients of it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=781545

*USB thumb drives are danged quick and easiest
*Burning to CD is another means
*Copying across a network is another means
*Taking hard drive out of old PC, putting in place of the cd-rom on the ne w machine...boot up...you'll see it as a D drive in My Computer...copy right there from Win Explorer...when done, power down, remove, plug cd-rom back in. Done . Works well for massive transfers and getting all those other things like Favorites folder, Outlook Express .dbx files, or Outlook PST files, WAB/PAB files (address book), stuff on the desktop, etc etc.

Back