Move most used programs off SSD?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I just recently upgraded my Dell E6410 to a Samsung 840 SSD, and was wondering if it would noticeably prolong the life of the SSD if I moved my most-used programs (Chrome, Flash CS5, and Zoom Player) onto the secondary internal HDD (I'm swapping the DVD-RW for a SATA HDD since I rarely use optical media anymore) I know I'll be giving up some speed, but if it will make a noticeable improvement on SSD lifespan, I figure it's a small price to pay (and the HDD is 7200 rpm so I doubt it will be too noticeable)

Worth the trouble, or will it only prolong the SSD's life by a miniscule time?

The SSD will last longer than you would be using the computer anyways.

Unless you plan on using that PC in like 100+ years, it wont make a difference.

Nope. Don't bother. Use the heck out of that SSD. It will last much much longer than you think.

Unless you got a 64GB SSD I would not bother.

Even then it doesn't matter.

OP. You WANT your most used programs on SSD...or why did you get it in the first place? Just use it like you would any drive and be happy. It will last longer than you'll ever use it for. :)

and the HDD is 7200 rpm so I doubt it will be too noticeable

If the difference is not noticeable then there is something very wrong with your setup or you have everything cached into memory and your programs do not write to disk.

Even then it doesn't matter.

OP. You WANT your most used programs on SSD...or why did you get it in the first place? Just use it like you would any drive and be happy. It will last longer than you'll ever use it for. :)

Got it because (1) it was a good deal (2) I wanted more storage space and (3) it raises the value of the laptop in case I ever have to sell it. (and minorly because it should increase my battery life by 1-3% or something) I'm slowly maxing out the laptop so when the Core i12(or w/e) comes out with 8 physical cores, I can sell the maxed-out laptop to buy a base model new "i12" laptop, and start the process all over...

I'm still a bit paranoid due to the old talk of FLASH memory only lasting like 1K R/W cycles (which I know is now closer to 3B R/W cycles or more, but old habits die hard)

If the difference is not noticeable then there is something very wrong with your setup or you have everything cached into memory and your programs do not write to disk.

I use my laptop on average 2-8 times a month for 4-8 hours each time, and I've not received the Media-bay adapter yet, so I can do a lot of comparisons. What little I've used the laptop (pre-SSD and post-SSD) I've not noticed huge differences in speed --- but again I use my desktop 90% of the time and my tablet 5% or more (when I'm mobile I rarely have access to power, so the laptop lasts only a couple hours and thus is "rationed" as needed, vs the tablet which goes upto 12 hours if needed). So the laptop does get ground on daily.

Back