Move AppData folder

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to move the app data folder to another drive along with the rest of my "user profile" folders to speed up the image dragging process with firefox? Is there a way to do that? If not, is it possible to reroute firefox's cache folder to my storage drive?

I redirect these folders on my domain using Group Policy. I do not believe it can be changed in the local (non-domain) PC Group Policy editor but you can edit the registry entry directly. It's fairly simple.

* Obligatory CMY warning. Its the registry. Edit at your own risk :) *

With that being said, open regedit (start, run, regedit). Expand to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

You should see all of the major folder locations here. My Docs, Desktop, Faves, Start Menu, etc... By default they point to the %UserProfile% or %AllUsersProfile% and then the appropriate folder. Enter a direct path to the new location tho. So for example, you could move your app data to D:\Profiles\Application Data . Log off or restart for changes to take effect. I believe it will create the folder location automatically....

I recommend putting it in a sub folder in case you choose to move any other folders later. I create a \Profile folder for myself on my file server.

Let me know your results or if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Should you desire, you can back-up your registry inside regedit. To back up the User Shell Folders, right click on that folder and select Export. Save it in a good location. To restore it, right click on the .REG file and select Merge.

You can back up the entire registry by exporting at the MyComputer level inside regedit.

You can use the mlink command or go to users and groups. Under user properties, 2nd tab, you can drop your entire user folder onto another drive. It just has a spot that you provide the link to the folder it will reside in.

LOL there is that way too. Completely forgot about that one. Ive been non-local and using GP for so long i completely forgot about the profile entry. I use GP for everything these days. Good call. I'd do it that way ;-)
Can't believe I forgot about that <.<.....>.>..... *puts reminder to self not to go technical at 1am..... crawls back into hole he came from*

Last edited:
You can use the mlink command or go to users and groups. Under user properties, 2nd tab, you can drop your entire user folder onto another drive. It just has a spot that you provide the link to the folder it will reside in.

Sorry for the late reply, just manage to get time to do this. Registry is what I used in the past to relocate my user folder, it works but there's a chance of messing things up in the future. What do you mean by users and groups? lusrmgr?

Back