Mouse suggestions

NLW

Limp Gawd
So my wireless MS intellimouse explorer 2.0 is starting to get a bit buggy (signal loss on good batteries), long in the tooth, and never was terribly comfortable for me. I'm in the market for a good mouse.

I've tried a few, testing for comfort, at a local B&M store. Ones that seemed to stand out are the Logitech LX5, Nano, and VXrevolution. I didn't like the MXrevolution at all, and the G9 was OK but way too wide. I know the Nano and VXR are pretty popular, but mainly as laptop, portable mice. Does anyone use these for standard desktop use? If so, how do they fare? Do those tiny receivers work from under a desk (where my tower is)?

I like the above mice because they're a bit on the small side, which I seem to like. I grasp the mouse with my fingers and pinch a bit, and keep my wrist planted on the desk. Because of that, I seem to like a mouse that's at least somewhat symmetrical. I do play some games, but no extra-twitchy FPSs. The most accuracy I may need would be for an upcoming acquisition of Fallout3 or Stalker Clear Sky, something like that.

Recommendations, anyone? Specific models or features to look for would be appreciated. Thanks!

I use the VX Revolution as my main mouse both at home and at work. Can't say enough good things about it, especially the free spinning scroll wheel. Once you use it you won't ever want to go back to a mouse without it. Range is a tiny bit shorter compared to a MX Revolution which I also have. But it's not an issue unless you're trying to use the mouse from the next room over. Battery life is phenomenal, better than any other wireless mouse I've used. I get around 2-3 weeks of use between charges at work using Sanyo Eneloops, and much much longer at home. I use the VXR at home to play a few MMORPGs and it's always worked well for me. Should be fine for your use.

You must have small hands considering the mice you chose. I think the Razers might suit you since its small and flat. The MX518 is actually much larger than a LX5. The VX Nano is pretty tiny for normal use, but the receiver is pretty cool for its size.

TBH, you can't really ask what is a good mouse, and what a bad mouse, because they are all different for every person. For instance, everybody used to comment on what a good mouse the Microsoft Intellimouses were, but for me, they never fitted my hand shape. My G5, on the other hand (no pun intended) fits me perfectly, and I didn't even try before I bought (stupid idea, I was very lucky). As you have done already, go to the shops and choose a mouse that you like, and then read some reviews on it, to see how they hold up in use. If you like the laptop mice, use them. Doesn't make a difference, and doesn't make you inferior :D

TBH, you can't really ask what is a good mouse, and what a bad mouse, because they are all different for every person. For instance, everybody used to comment on what a good mouse the Microsoft Intellimouses were, but for me, they never fitted my hand shape. My G5, on the other hand (no pun intended) fits me perfectly, and I didn't even try before I bought (stupid idea, I was very lucky). As you have done already, go to the shops and choose a mouse that you like, and then read some reviews on it, to see how they hold up in use. If you like the laptop mice, use them. Doesn't make a difference, and doesn't make you inferior :D

Good poitn here, and I agree with you 100%.

I think what I was trying to get across was that I'm concerned about 2 things with a new mouse, mainly, comfort and performance.

So I've tried out several mice that rank decently high on the comfort level, noted above, and I was concerned about how they'd perform for my needs (i.e., getting others' feedback).

Also, I tried to list models I liked and reasons why I liked them so that others could suggest mice that may also be good matches, both in the comfort and performance areas (so I know what to look for next time i'm in a store). Ultimately, I hope to be able to try things out before buying. I just want to make extra sure I'm not making too risky a purchase, as dropping $50 or more, as some of these mice cost, on a complete gamble is not something I'd care to do. I just can't afford to waste so much money.

Anyway, there have been some good suggestions here. I'll certainly try out a copperhead and mx518 if I can find one around. I prefer wireless, though, so we'll see how it all gos. Thanks for the replies so far, and feel free to chime in if you have more thoughts!

I would vote for a g5 (revision 2) over the 518, as it's the same thing, just better. That is if you like the shape of it of course. You can find them at Best Buy for about $10 more than you can get them for on the internet.

Back