Mouse recommendations for a MX510 user

jamsomito

2[H]4U
OK, I've had this mouse for 10-15 years now and its a freaking tank. It has been manhandled, gone to countless LANs, moved 8 times across the country. Awesome.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and its giving me some issues, so its time to look for new (I'll still keep it around for a spare / with old PC). I kind of want to get something similar because I know how good this one is. Like the Logitech G500s, but I think it's unavailable now.

I'm interested in the G502; though I'm usually not drawn to the edgy gamer look, this one doesn't seem too bad. I've also heard its heavy and after thinking about it I think I'd like a lighter mouse like myX510. Though it supposedly has a great sensor, which is definitely what I'm after.

I also heard the Corsair M45 is great, but it looks like a claw mouse which I'm not sure about.

I want to be excited about this new mouse, so I do want good looks (i realize this is subjective, but the MX510 looks long in the tooth IMO). I've heard Zowie mice are good, but they just look so plain...

So can anyone help with their experiences of the mice I mentioned, or offer other suggestions? I guess my bottom line is, I want this to look good, not be too heavy, have great construction to survive my manhandling, and have a great optical sensor. Other considerstions are a palm grip, and a nice arch to it for ergonomics. Thanks for the help.

Stopped at Best Buy for a little "showrooming" just now. They didn't have the G700s on display, but I felt it in the box and didn't like the shape - jury is still out on this one. It looks the most similar to my MX510 that I have now though. Didn't like the MX Master feel. Didn't like the G302... too wide and claw-ey. Definitely did not like the G600 (as an aside, the thumb buttons were mushy as all get-out. Hated those) - too many buttons.

For other brands, I tried the Corsair M65 and didn't like the shape - too wide or something, just felt unnatural to me. Tried the razer deathadder, and I might get a lot of flack for this, but I didn't like that either. Didn't seem like the best construction, and the buttons were mushy (ack), and with the QC issues I don't think I'm interested in the brand. Steelseries Sensei just seemed blah.

So for now, I'm still leaning towards the G502. It felt familiar to what I'm used to, the clicks were great, maybe a few too many buttons (but no big whoop), and the weight didn't bother me fully empty. I didn't realize there were 2 scroll wheel modes, so I only tried the smooth scrolling, which was really meh (not my first pick, but maybe not a deal breaker either).

What is the general consensus on the G502? Good / bad / common issues? Thanks for any input.

I have the MX518 and I'm having a hard time letting go lol I'm seriously looking to upgrade to the
MX Master

Did you try the G402?

It gets overlooked a lot. It has a few less buttons, but is quite a bit lighter, and the sliding pads are MUCH more resistant than the G502's bizarre point angles which get used pretty quickly, you can google that issue.

I personally really like the G602, completely different mouse from the G600. Weird making scheme.

I don't think they had the 402 in stock, don't recall, but after looking it up online I can say I did not play with it in the store. I might be interested in that one. Is the sensor the same as the 502?

Just looked up the 602. They may have had that one in stock, but I'm not interested in wireless so I probably just didn't pick it up.

The G502 has a 12,000 DPI sensor, the G402 "only" has a 4,000 DPI sensor...right....

Having used both (used most logitech gaming mice actually), I prefer the G402 over the G502 because for me it strikes the balance between buttons I actually use (not just "will use someday") and I like a very light mouse. Also the sliding pads make sense.

There is a LOT of marketing BS to sift through... trying is best. If you do get the G502 though, my suggestion is also buy extra pads right away.

I have been going through this as well. I loved my MX518 but when it finally became obvious that they weren't being made anymore I bought a Razer Taipan. I was never completely happy with the Taipan so I bought a G502 Proteus, even worse so I went back to the Taipan. I remain unsatisfied and the guys here pointed out two notables and it's obvious once you see them that they owe their roots to the MX518.

First is the G400S which is basically an updated version of the MX518 still with an optical sensor. I just bought one of these and it's on the way.

Second is the G500S which is the same mouse with a laser instead of an optical sensor.

If you really loved your MX518 I recommend you start with these first and go from there. First reason, it's known territory and you've been there before. Second, they are cheaper then anything else you are likely to try out so spend some bucks first on what you know is a solution you are comfy with. Otherwise you can do like me and drop $100+ on one mouse after another looking for that sweet spot when you already know it's somewhere closer to home.

Of course, if you really want a 502 Proteus I have one I'll sell, it's hardly used at all and I might still have the box and all the contents. I'll check if you are interested. Put $60 in my PayPal account and it's yours shipped ;)

Long time MX518 user as well... first went with a Corsair M45 and eventually landed on the G502

Been using the G502 for about 6 months so far. No major complaints from me. Highest DPI I ever use is around 3500, mostly game at 1250. The bindable "sniper" if you will, thumb button is a nice addition for shooters.

One feature I really like and will ALWAYS look for in a mouse from now on is the ability to change the scroll wheel to free wheeling....awesome in windows and some games that are inventory heavy (AHEM FALLOUT 4)

Software that comes with it is a little over the top...but it has a small footprint and has never given me problems.

Only real complaint with the thing is the awkwardness of the DPI up and down buttons. Always seem to hit em when I am not trying to and can never find em quickly in the rare case I am actually trying to...

I picked up the g502 core and it's been great. The higher dpi, turns out, is really what I've been missing. I went back to my old mouse at 1000dpi (or 800 for the 510) and I can't stand it. In order to get the speed I want, it jumps 4 pixels at a time. Unbearable.

I probably would have been happy with any mouse with a higher dpi, but the g502 feels somewhat familiar and doesn't have any major flaws IMO so it's great for me.

Back