Mouse problem.

Converge

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently, my mx518 crapped out on me, the same way my razer diamondback did a year or so before. Basically, something happens to the cord, I dont know what, but the mouse will power off and you can only get the power to come back on if you move the wire or pull on it at a certain angle, but it will only flicker back on and go off again. It seems as if inside the cord the wires are not touching anymore because of a bend maybe? I dont know. I noticed this happens with headphones sometimes too...sound will stop playing through one of the ears, but will come back if you push or bend the wire a certain way. Its like that.

This problem killed my last two mice...Ive had....I dont know...5-6 different mice in the past 3-4 years. Only my razer and 518 had this problem.

Anyone know what the deal is? Is it my fault? Wear and tear? I really dont want this to happen to my new Razer copperhead when I get it. Yeah, ill have a warrenty but still...

try different usb ports ? someone elses system? see if it happens there ?

try them mouse traps...or get them sticky pads where the mouse run over and get STUCK onto it...it works..seen it happened at my friends house... or call the pesTerminator :D

My guess is that your mouse sometimes hangs over the desk, pulling on the cord. A bit of time with it like that will eventually lead to a fucked up cord.

It's not making connection via usb. from the angle of the wires, they slipped from the usb connection and it seems like unless you straighten it out and keep it straight with electrcal tape, it may not get fixed..

get a new mouse if all else fails

Swatchie said:
try different usb ports ? someone elses system? see if it happens there ?

Its definitely the cord, I know this.

Tha_Godfather said:
try them mouse traps...or get them sticky pads where the mouse run over and get STUCK onto it...it works..seen it happened at my friends house... or call the pesTerminator :D

Just shut up and dont post in anymore of my threads.

Nuzzles said:
My guess is that your mouse sometimes hangs over the desk, pulling on the cord. A bit of time with it like that will eventually lead to a fucked up cord.

Yeah, this could definitely cause the problem...but my mouse never hangs over the desk...so I dont know.

IAmSpoli said:
It's not making connection via usb. from the angle of the wires, they slipped from the usb connection and it seems like unless you straighten it out and keep it straight with electrcal tape, it may not get fixed..

get a new mouse if all else fails

Yeah, right now im using a cheap 10 dollar MS mouse i get a few nights ago. When I get my copperhead im just going to have to be more cautious i guess.

Is there anything on the desk, that the cord could get snatched on? You could easily, while playing a game, especially and FPS, get it caught on that and yank it.

Or maybe, you have a cat that could knock it off. Then perhaps someone other than yourself in the household puts it back on the desk.

-shrugs-

Nuzzles said:
Is there anything on the desk, that the cord could get snatched on? You could easily, while playing a game, especially and FPS, get it caught on that and yank it.

Or maybe, you have a cat that could knock it off. Then perhaps someone other than yourself in the household puts it back on the desk.

-shrugs-

Im thinking I've been yanking it without really knowing. I tape the cord to the end of my desk so I have enough wire to move around my pad, without the wire dragging around and being a pain. I think sometimes when the tape wears off I yank the mouse to pull the cord up more. Im guessing thats it, I dont really notice when I do it. Its funny though, no matter how well i tape the damn cord to the end of my desk the tape always comes loose...so annoying!

At my local $2 shop, they have these wire mangement clips. You could probably nail something similar into the desk and have you mouse cord running through it, i doubt this would come loose any time soon.
-- o >|
|Co
-- o

o = cord

|C = left clip
>| = right clip

They're left open on the sides like that, so you'd hvae to do something like that to close it off.

I've had a mouse do this before. If the spot where the cord is messed up is near the mouse, then you can open it up, cut off a few inches of cord, and resolder it back to the board (or connector if it had one). Or, you can just take any USB cable to replace the defective one and cut off one end and rewire it to the mouse.

If your mouse is constantly getting wrecked and you can't fix it yourself, I'd suggest to get a wireless mouse instead. Plus it's easier to game with (in my opinion, since there's no cord tugging)

Back