mouse pads make a difference?

Devastadus

Weaksauce
I game on a mouse pad i got free at a convention. I see mouse pads up to $40 do they make a difference or give an edge? I play various FPS's at a competitively, such as Battlefield 3, and CS Source. Just trying to get every edge i can get. Thanks

It really depends on the type of mouse...

Ball mice = A good pad makes all the difference in the world.
Optical mice = Surface texture can impact tracking accuracy, a good pad is still worthwhile.
Laser mice = Use pretty much any pad that's not a mirror and it'll track fine.

I'm personally using a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 (an optical mouse), paired with a Ratpadz XT. Best combo I've found so far.

I have noticed that my wireless mouse that I use with my laptop works differently with different mouse pads. I paid around $3 for a mouse pad and used it but it didn't work as well as the one that I paid $10 for. I guess it depends on the mouse and the mouse pad being used.

Yes it can make a slight difference but any quality mouse these days will track fine on any mouse pad. Some mice will like a hard pad and some will work a little better on a soft pad but again, the differences won't be much at all.

Beyond just tracking, there are some with higher and lower friction levels. The Razer pads that are of the "speed" variety tend to have lower friction levels so that you can quickly flick the mouse with minimal effort to spin quickly; alternatively the "control" variety have higher friction levels so that you have much more precise control over exactly where your cursor is at all times.

Here is a nice image showing the Razer Goliathus mats in a side by side comparison.
6760009049_55f760e601_z.jpg

I love my Artisan Hayate. It's the first mousepad I've ever really liked. Never thought I'd like cloth pads, but this cloth is far superior to any hard surface I've used and doesn't grind away at mouse feet.

I'm a cheap bastard. I'm still using a cloth mousemat I got from my last ISP. Not tracking problems. Mousing surfaces are for suckers.

I am still a huge fan of the corepad. It is made out of textured glass which is really cool and it will never wear out. If you put those teflon feet on your mouse it glides like butter over the surface.

e8hurPW.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't used a mousepad for years.

The wooden desk works fine for tracking.

As long as the surface is not reflective, a laser mouse will track just fine.

I absolutely cannot stand the grime that gets in mouse pads.

I've tried just about every "mousing surface," but always come back to cloth as the best for me. A pad also eliminates any gunk that collects on the mouse feet/skates whenever I use a bare desktop.

Plastic, been there done that. I'm back to cloth and have been for the past 4-5 years using Qck Heavy. If something happens to it I will go and order new one immediately. Easy to clean, huge surface, it's heaven for low sense players 40cm +! Best of all it doesn't cost a bomb.

Back