Mouse/Keyboard not working

Droc

2[H]4U
I work at a condo and our security system is all run through a server. We have a tower PC connected to it to make changes and for our security screens. It operates with Windows XP.

Today we shut it all down, and relocated the monitor, mouse and keyboard.
When we fired it back up, the mouse and keyboard, both PS/2 interface were not working.

I tried uninstalling the devices, but they do not show up in the device manager, even with "hidden devices" enabled, they still dont show up.

Well, to be fair, the PS/2 mouse worked for a bit. We shut down, switched the PS/2 between mouse and keyboard and restarted with no luck. After a few tires, the mouse failed to work.

Currently I have a backup USB mouse and keyboard, but because of the location of the server, we are running extension cables for the PS/2 devices. (they do not work even if plugged directly to the PC).

I suspect one may have been disconnected while the machine was still on.

Suggestions?

If other devices work on the same port then it must be the mouse or a new conflict?Did u change anything in BIOS?

well, at this time, nothing is working in either of the PS/2 ports. Connections are solid.

As RAMBO29 said, double check the BIOS settings for the PS/2 ports. Double check that the mouse and keyboard are in the right ports. After this, you've also covered the reboot option.

You really don't need to shut the computer down to move that stuff around...

At any rate, sounds to me more like checking to make sure they are plugged in the right ports, and be sure to reboot as well (A gimmicky thing about PS/2 is they generally need rebooting to recognize the device if it wasn't at that last bootup).

Yah, I have no clue at this point. I checked the ports a dozen times, rebooted a dozen times, checked bios, device manager....I have exhausted all my options.

Thanks anyways.

alright. so you have checked bios and seen that the ps/2 port is enabled

you have also looked in the device manager and seen the ps/2 ports there? if there is no little yellow icon (you know the kind) and the connections are secure, it sounds like a dead port(s)

i have only a few suggestions.

1) plug in the keyboard to the mouse ps/2 port - see if any leds light up (the keys proobably won't work in this case) if they do it may not be a dead port

2) buy a usb mouse/keyboard if you have usb ports

sorry i can't be more help...GL!!!

Back