Mouse Framerate Metric?

mangoldm

n00b
I'm just grasping at straws here, but I notice a distinct lack of smoothness in some games even though FRAPS reports a steady 60 FPS. For example, the original Half Life is silky smooth at 60FPS but UT2003 and Doom 3 are less smooth.

I only notice this when looking around with the mouse. Moving with the WASD keys is equally smooth. I've tried wireless and wired mice and trackballs but all are the same. Is there some metric that would characterize this phenonemon?

Also, please note that I'm not talking about some malfunction or drastic problem, just that I've noticed this difference in smoothness of mouselook in different games at the same framerate and would like to quantify this, hopefully leading to some tweak that results in increased smoothness.

Are you using an USB or PS/2 mouse? And does the mouse smoothing-thing in UT's settings help?
(If it's PS/2, you could try increasing the sampling rate. Look at the properties for the mouse in the hardware manager. You might even want to try this using an USB->PS/2 converter.)

Right. Now, did you turn the PS/2 update rate up? 200Hz ought to be about right.

No, how do I turn up the PS/2 rate? Is the USB rate slower than the PS/2 rate?

Device manager -> the mouse -> properties -> one of the tabs there
The USB update rate is higher than the default for PS/2, but lower than the highest available.

Are you sure it's device manager and not contol panel? I didn't see anything under either, although my mouse control panel is Logitech.

Also, why would Half Life be smooth while UT2003 isn't?

I do think you're onto something, though, after reading this.

Edit: Got it after switching to PS/2. An "Advanced" tab appeared. Testing now.

That was it!

Switching to the PS/2 input and then updating the sample rate to 200 gives me smooth freelook.

Much obliged :)

Back