"mouse" for the PS3

Thats totally sweet, and honestly I don't think the price is all that bad, especially considering the amount of r&d that has to go into something like that.

price high? Are you kidding me its only 20 bucks more than a normal controller. If this works great it could be a dream come true for FPSers!! I can't wait to read more reviews of this and possibly pick this up.

this might be exactly what I was looking for.

Mouse and keyboard > controllers any day of the week. Though this isnt exactly M&K, it should make a good replacement.

i thought you could already use a mouse&keyboard with the PS3 for games and what not

this might be exactly what I was looking for.

Mouse and keyboard > controllers any day of the week. Though this isnt exactly M&K, it should make a good replacement.

100% Opinion.

Everytime someone tells me this, I know for certain they typically aren't very good with controllers ;)

100% Opinion.

Everytime someone tells me this, I know for certain they typically aren't very good with controllers ;)

I think if they made a game to put a Pro FPS PC gamer (someone lame like fatal1ty) vs. a Pro FPS Console gamer... (mouse / keyboard vs. controller) I would put my money on the FPS PC gamer hands down. Mouse + sensitivity = auto aim (if you that good :p )

100% Opinion.

Pfft, play me in resistance any day of the week and I'll show you I can play perfectly fine with controllers. Mouse and keyboard are much more accurate than controllers no matter how you spin it. I like controllers, but I would much rather have M&KB, and even this seems like it would do fine for me.

Just to explain some things... there are certain genres which have stayed exclusive or enjoyed benefit on the PC because of the mouse. Point and click adventure/RPG, FPS, and strategy games. Likewise, there are genres that make more sense for a console like fighting games, puzzle games, SHMUPs, and most RPGs. So you rarely see these being sold on PC because the PC lacks a controller standard to support. If a console like the PS3 were able to standardize a mouse peripheral, suddenly the PC loses one of its major sells. I've begun to hate PC gaming for numerous reasons but have been stuck with using one for some games because certain genres NEED a mouse to get the most out of them. Hopefully companies like sony realize this because I would much rather own console versions of games than PC ones. There are simply too many issues associate with PC games: driver support for new and old games, install time and space, package standardization, slow dvd adoption, cost of performance, low resale value of games, etc, etc.

Just to explain some things... there are certain genres which have stayed exclusive or enjoyed benefit on the PC because of the mouse. Point and click adventure/RPG, FPS, and strategy games. Likewise, there are genres that make more sense for a console like fighting games, puzzle games, SHMUPs, and most RPGs. So you rarely see these being sold on PC because the PC lacks a controller standard to support. If a console like the PS3 were able to standardize a mouse peripheral, suddenly the PC loses one of its major sells. I've begun to hate PC gaming for numerous reasons but have been stuck with using one for some games because certain genres NEED a mouse to get the most out of them. Hopefully companies like sony realize this because I would much rather own console versions of games than PC ones. There are simply too many issues associate with PC games: driver support for new and old games, install time and space, package standardization, slow dvd adoption, cost of performance, low resale value of games, etc, etc.

Sorry dude, but you're WRONG. The PC does support a controller.

This is kind of a catch all version of what I've been using for years. I keep a pad in the my left hand (movement) and use the mouse to aim. You get all the pad benefits (analog movement) and fast aiming via the mouse. This will also be nice as you can more or less hang out on the couch, but still be able to use a mouse to aim in FPS games.
I like it!

This is kind of a catch all version of what I've been using for years. I keep a pad in the my left hand (movement) and use the mouse to aim. You get all the pad benefits (analog movement) and fast aiming via the mouse. This will also be nice as you can more or less hang out on the couch, but still be able to use a mouse to aim in FPS games.
I like it!

I can't wait.... but I wonder how well it will work.... If it works nicly I might have to get 2, 1 for me, and one for a friend playing co-op in R:FoM :)

Sorry dude, but you're WRONG. The PC does support a controller.

Way to read, I said controller STANDARD. You can't sell controller oriented genres to much success on the PC when there's no standard. A PC gamepad could have any number or arrangement of buttons, with blank or different markings. It's not much of a problem if you're playing commander keen, but get to a more complexed title, and Mr 6-button gravis isn't going to cut it anymore. Consoles and their game developers, on the other hand, could support both fairly easily because a proprietary system can dictate a standardized controller scheme.

Way to read, I said controller STANDARD. You can't sell controller oriented genres to much success on the PC when there's no standard. A PC gamepad could have any number or arrangement of buttons, with blank or different markings. It's not much of a problem if you're playing commander keen, but get to a more complexed title, and Mr 6-button gravis isn't going to cut it anymore. Consoles and their game developers, on the other hand, could support both fairly easily because a proprietary system can dictate a standardized controller scheme.

QFT. Playing PC games, even with the nicest of gamepads, is still a pain. I have no idea if it's drivers or just tacked on support, but it's just a fact of life. Every pad has a different configuration of buttons, games seem to use strange software mapping to make buttons work, analogs can be flip-flopped, analog triggers are often not seen. It's just a mess. I've only played a handful of games on the PC, *ever* that control as well as a console game does...even the same exact game.
I'm hoping that with the "games for Windows" initiative we'll see this fixed and standards put in place. For now, it's just not the same at all.

P.S. - If you can get your pad to work with GTA: San Andreas, it's got excellent pad support. Simpson's Hit and Run, too (although it's the same engine). They took different pad configurations into account for once.

There IS a standard PC controller. The Xbox 360 controller is the standard controller for "Games for Windows" games.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173456.aspx#section_1_4

There IS a standard PC controller. The Xbox 360 controller is the standard controller for "Games for Windows" games.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173456.aspx#section_1_4

Hmm, didn't know about the controller part. But I have noticed the recently developed "Games for Windows" attempt by Microsoft to make PC gaming more uniform and less frustrating. It's definitely a step in the right direction, but I don't know how effective it's going to be unless they take a heavier hand with developers, who seem to be able to choose at the moment whether or not they want to do things like support hd resolutions, etc.

And I guess that goes to say that consoles have been going about the mouse the wrong way by relegating it to some obscure feature instead of requiring certain genres, like RTS and FPS games, to support controlling the game via an optional mouse peripheral.

but I don't know how effective it's going to be unless they take a heavier hand with developers, who seem to be able to choose at the moment whether or not they want to do things like support hd resolutions, etc.

Name one PC game released in the last 5 years that doesn't support HD resolution :rolleyes:

In fact almost all modern PC games support resolutions FAR exceeding "High Definition"

controllers will never be better than a mouse/keyboard on a PC. The reaction times and precision are simply leaps and bounds better on a mouse.

I don't agree with this as a general statement. Like I've been trying to say, the control superiority depends on the genre. A keyboard/mouse is not better than a gamepad for platformers or fighting games, but is better for FPS and even more remarkably on RTS. Console companies have a genuine opportunity to dictate mouse peripheral support for their system to allow these once PC exclusive genres entry into console domain.

Name one PC game released in the last 5 years that doesn't support HD resolution

Alright, for the technically anal, let's change that statement to "widescreen" resolutions. Better yet, just look at the link about supporting 720p, 1080p and its 16:10 equivalents. That hasn't been smooth sailing. People have had to hack their games to get them to display right on their monitor.

meh, I thought that a mouse for a console would be throttled by the in game settings? I mean the fastest in game setting would still be really slow when handling the mouse. Controllers are standard on console therefore the game settings usually will accomodate the controller not the mouse so I don't expect this to be anything worthwhile really. I can handle the fast settings in most games on the 360 and ps3 just fine with a controller.

Name one PC game released in the last 5 years that doesn't support HD resolution :rolleyes:

In fact almost all modern PC games support resolutions FAR exceeding "High Definition"

Ice Age for PC :D

Hey I liked it! I'm a sucker for that cave squirel

thats just microsoft using its windows platform to push the xbox controller. tricky tricky are they.

controllers will never be better than a mouse/keyboard on a PC. The reaction times and precision are simply leaps and bounds better on a mouse.

What else would they use for the Windows platform? Come up with a whole new controller layout for the PC? Why reinvent the wheel?

thats just microsoft using its windows platform to push the xbox controller. tricky tricky are they.

You know I wish people would simply think about other games rather than the FPS genre.

Platformers and adventure games (Think Silent hill or resident evil) handle fine with a controller if not better.

You know I wish people would simply think about other games rather than the FPS genre.

Platformers and adventure games (Think Silent hill or resident evil) handle fine with a controller if not better.

Don't forget the entire sports genre...

wytttttttt. reminds of wii mote 4 some reason.
price is decent.

looks a bit unconfertable tho

I bet its not going to fail in the long run just like other predecessors. If the games don't support it then it would be useless practically. It would be cool to have it for fps since i like the mouse better to :) but in the long run i don't think it will last that long.

the biggest hurdle to me was the "analog input lag" that made tiny movements impossible. They stated that they got around it, if possible... WOOT!

I always love these discussions. People somehow assume that a mouse and a keyboard are SO much better than a controller in every way. However they forget that there are other genres of games besides FPS and RTS games. Possibly because those are like 99% of what's out for the PC. I'd go so far as to say those (and maybe adventure games) are the ONLY games in which the mouse is better...and I still think the keyboard's actually no help in an FPS, only an RTS.
Good luck playing a driving, fighting, 3D action, flying, beat 'em up, side-scroller, etc. with a keyboard and/or mouse.
Mice have their place, no doubt...but to call them superior is crazy. It reminds me of that Hummer commercial where the kid builds an off-road soap-box racer and takes off down the hill instead of the curvy road. Different games call for different controllers.

Good luck playing a driving, fighting, 3D action, flying, beat 'em up, side-scroller, etc. with a keyboard and/or mouse.

Driving: Ever play Life for Speed? Probably the most realistic racing simulator ever made. Mouse steer is 100x more accurate than using a gamepad. Of course a wheel and pedal setup is really the only way to go, but still, mouse steer > gamepad.

3D Action: What would you call 3D Action? Most games that I would consider "3D Action" are first person, where a keyboard and mouse would clearly outperform a gamepad

Flying: Flight sims need a joystick. But if you had to choose between keyboard and gamepad I would still choose keyboard because of the number of buttons available, which is very important in flight sims.

Side Scroller: The only benefit to using a gamepad while playing these types of games is that you can lounge on the couch while doing so. Otherwise a keyboard is just as easy to use.

"Beat'em up": How is this a unique genre? Anything that I would put in this category would also put in either Side Scroller or "3D Action"

Fighting: This is the one genre where I agree with you, and possibly the only one where a gamepad is better than a keyboard / mouse setup. That is only because it is easier to do key combos when the keys are close together and can be hit almost simultaneously. If you factor in keyboard macros however...

Ok, I think this has been talked about enough to where I feel this is just going in circles.

Everyone has their own playing preferences and I think we all understand that depending on the genre of game, one type of controls might be easier to work with.

Why does it seem that almost every thread on this forum, turns into a "this is better.... NO THIS IS BETTER, NOOOO THIS IS BETTERR!!1!!11"

I'm just glad someone brought this up, I had no idea it was even coming out. I will probably get one and see what the return policy is... I wouldnt mind playing my FPS games on the console with one :)

the true sad aspect is the ps3 not accepting any ol usb you throw at it (even jsut mouse and keyboards). get coding! I think this M&K setup is just the thing the console needs to compete. fan-fucking-tastic idea! the two sides need to play online, with destinguishing icons of course, to settle the score of who's better

I see a keyboard is retail now, when is the mouse?

G'ßöö;1030791104 said:
the true sad aspect is the ps3 not accepting any ol usb you throw at it (even jsut mouse and keyboards). get coding! I think this M&K setup is just the thing the console needs to compete. fan-fucking-tastic idea! the two sides need to play online, with destinguishing icons of course, to settle the score of who's better

I see a keyboard is retail now, when is the mouse?

Last time i checked, when i plug in a mouse and keyboard to use for my PS3 it works. It doesn't work for the games because they arent made around a keyboard and mouse.

Last time i checked, when i plug in a mouse and keyboard to use for my PS3 it works. It doesn't work for the games because they arent made around a keyboard and mouse.

But are they going to support M&KB for games in the future... for games like Unreal 3?

But are they going to support M&KB for games in the future... for games like Unreal 3?
I read they are. this will be the best thing they could ever do! I dont know how you console owners play fps's with a controller. it unnatural and wrong

I see. thnx 4 the info

Back