• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mouse Ergonomics

larkin

Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
907
Hi yalz, I have been using a G5 mouse for about 6 months. I've recently upped my time playing battlefield 2 and after a 5 hour session a few nights ago and for the first time my hand felt "weird" in the standard mouse position. The weirdness is concentrated on my pinkie and ring fingers of the mousehand that, for me, just get smooshed on top of one another just falling over the right edge of the mouse and doing nothing. I mean, what do you do with your pinkie and ring finger while palming/using a mouse? They don't do anything and are not supported at all (ergonomically). They aren't hurting or loosing feeling or anything freaky like that but using my mouse is now slightly uncomfortable and almost frustrating because ther's no where to put those fingers! Is anyone else with me on this and are there larger gamming mice? The G7 looks a little bigger than then G5 but not by much.

I really want a different input device :/
 
I'm not sure if another mouse will solve that.

The Diamondback mice are shaped differently, maybe those will be better for you
 
Hi larkin,

I can't seem to get on with any mice that are specifically set up for the right or left hand. Instead I prefer to go for an ambidextrous design, such as the mx300 I currently use.

discochan made a good suggestion - the Razor mice are one such design, which I’m sure will be more to your liking. That said you may have to sacrifice a button or two.

Cheers :)
 
I think an ambi mouse might be the right idea thanks. As for the razer mice, i'm not sure, I tried it a for a bit in store and it didnt feel very comfortable but i'm pretty sure it's becaues this logitech is designed for the right hand that my fingers keep slipping in to the same uncomfortable position.

thanks
 
MX1000 is more comfortable to me than the other design (I used MX700 which is the same as G5/7, for around 3-4 years). You might want to try that.

My friend recently found out he had some form of carpal tunnel in his left hand. Something to do with a nerve that goes from the neck to the hand I think..
His ring finger and pinky would always be numb, and it just got worse where it was always numb even when he was not playing a game. It happened because of the way he types, so keep that in mind. If you rest your arm on the table, I would say make sure it is resting on a flat surface, and not on any corners.
 
ChingChang said:
MX1000 is more comfortable to me than the other design (I used MX700 which is the same as G5/7, for around 3-4 years). You might want to try that.

My friend recently found out he had some form of carpal tunnel in his left hand. Something to do with a nerve that goes from the neck to the hand I think..
His ring finger and pinky would always be numb, and it just got worse where it was always numb even when he was not playing a game. It happened because of the way he types, so keep that in mind. If you rest your arm on the table, I would say make sure it is resting on a flat surface, and not on any corners.
Thanks for the advice there. Right now my arms does rest on the endge of the table because the chair i use right now doesnt have arm rests
 
There is also that fatal1ty 3 button mouse you could try which has a button for your ring finger. I've never tried it though so I can't tell you if its comfortable or anything

link
 
i use the MX 700 and my hand rest on the mouse like this, thumb in the thumb indent, pointer finger on the left butten, ding is on the right butten, ring finger sits right next to the right butten, and i use my pinky to help control the speed i move my mouse with(its also used to clear shit outta my way when im moving it, once i stoped letting my wrist hang off the edge of my desk any problems ive had went away
 
The problem is likely due to pulling your wrist back to hold the mouse for a long time.
This is a form of RSI and is more common in long term gaming.

You are right to ask about how to stop it as if you let it get further you may have to stop gaming with that hand for some time and theres the possibility of never being able to use the hand for gaming again!

The solution is relatively easy but you need to find what works for you.
The best way is to raise the platform you wrist sits on so the angle of your wrist is less severe.
I recommend a soft gel wrist rest. You may prefer to use a gel keyboard one if you move around a lot.
A smaller mouse may work also.

I use an MX1000 while sat on a sofa. I have a pillow under my mouse arm to support it and keep my wrist straighter.
 
Chernobyl1 said:
...
The best way is to raise the platform you wrist sits on so the angle of your wrist is less severe..
I bought an expensive LifeForm chair with large adjustable arm rests that can be turned inwards to be more useful. It already feels much more comfortable moving my mouse around with a supported arm although I haven't had a long gamming sessions yet to really put it to the test. I think it'll do the job.

krameriffic said:
The new G3 that Logitech is coming out with pretty soon looks promising.
Kinda looks like a less curvy razar
 
:confused:

I always put my ring finger on the right mouse button... the pinky finger goes on the surface thing on the right.
 
Eagle156 said:
:confused:

I always put my ring finger on the right mouse button... the pinky finger goes on the surface thing on the right.
I've tried that with my ring finger on the right mouse button, but really i dont feel like it's made for that and my ring finger wants to slide off unless i make an effort.

Do you right click with both fingers then? seems odd
 
Back
Top