mouse drifting to the right

peppergomez

2[H]4U
Hey folks

I have a Razer Naga 2012 that has served me very well since I bought it new maybe 6 years ago. It has started drifting to the right (well, the cursor has, but you get my meaning) and is difficult to use accurately.

I've done the following to troubleshoot:

- unplugged it then cleaned the sensor with a q-tip that I dipped is rubbing alcohol
- installed the latest Razer drivers/firmware
- cleaned my mousepads with hot soapy water then let them dry

That hasen't fixed the issue though.

It's definitely the mouse and not a Windows setting, since I don't have this problem with another mouse.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you tried using a toothpick to clean the dust and lint out of the rollers?
youre not still using ball mice are you?

op, you reset the accel and sensitivity in the control software?

What are Master Acceleration and Master Sensitivity Control?
Master Acceleration lets you assign the same sensitivity for both the X and Y axis. Master Sensitivity Control allows for fine tuning specific X and Y axis sensitivity.
https://support.razer.com/gaming-mice-and-mats/razer-naga-2012/

Maybe give Beyonce a call and ask her about moving things to the left to the left...

I'm sorry. Lol.

Given you've already cleaned it, perhaps even send a support ticket to razer. They may not warranty it but may provide suggestions to assist you?

It may be an internal thing so could also be a sign for a new mouse...

I suspect you may have a piece of cheese beside the mouse, on the right side.
Move the cheese to the left. Does the mouse then drift to the left?

All you guys posting "funny" replies without also at least trying to help can **** right off. If you're gonna take the time to post and make a joke, you could also offer to help.

To those who actually tried to help, thanks.

I've also as per Razer's instructions from a support chat un/reinstalled the synapse software, and tried the mouse on another computer.

The behavior is the same - it's fine (no cursor drift) until I begin using it, at which point the cursor begins to drift, even if I'm not actually moving the mouse. Not sure what's up.

I also tried using a different mousepad. Same deal.

Okay, no more humor.

Diagnosis: Your mouse is broken.
Prescription: Buy a new mouse.

But wait ...
Your original post said "It's definitely the mouse and not a Windows setting."
Therefore my diagnosis, above, is redundant. You already knew it was broken.
You also tried to fix the mouse, without success.

So ... how hard would it have been to determine for yourself that you just need to buy a new mouse?

Correction: I knew it was malfunctioning.
Which is why I posted here.

A few months ago a tech guy I know gave me advice to just "replace your laptop, it's broken"
Turns out the keyboard needed to be replaced, which in part the community here at [H] helped me determine. Fixed it myself and saved $150 on what the repair costs would have been, to say nothing of the cost of buying a new laptop.

So it's totally legit of me to post the question I did here asking for help. You really don't need to try to guilt me into thinking I was being lazy by asking for advice here. That's in part why theses forums exist. I have no interest in your response b/c it will probably be just more attitude, so feel free to leave this thread. Arguing, teasing, and belittling people really have no place in these forums. That's the last I'll say on this, and I've set you to ignore.

Having a sense of humor goes a long way. It’s a mouse, not cancer.

I suppose I’ll be the next to just get put on ignore. cest le vie, the snide comments are half the reason the ones who know shit come to help out in the first place. It’s call “community”

Correction: I knew it was malfunctioning.
Which is why I posted here.

A few months ago a tech guy I know gave me advice to just "replace your laptop, it's broken"
Turns out the keyboard needed to be replaced, which in part the community here at [H] helped me determine. Fixed it myself and saved $150 on what the repair costs would have been, to say nothing of the cost of buying a new laptop.

So it's totally legit of me to post the question I did here asking for help. You really don't need to try to guilt me into thinking I was being lazy by asking for advice here. That's in part why theses forums exist. I have no interest in your response b/c it will probably be just more attitude, so feel free to leave this thread. Arguing, teasing, and belittling people really have no place in these forums. That's the last I'll say on this, and I've set you to ignore.
people where having a bit of fun not being mean to you. your attitude with the "can fuck right off" bit is the issue. you've done all you can for the mouse, buy a new one and lighten up a bit.

So my reply comes with the assumption that you've google high and low for others who have the same issue, read their replies, and nothing helped. (changing DPI, poll rate)
It also assumes that this occurs, regardless of the mousing surface it's used on, at any time of day (light coming in the window, reflecting off a gloss desk if you're sans mouse pad, and somehow causing this). That would rule out not just something to do with that surface, but would rule out something else as the cause such as a fan in your computer vibrating the entire desk at just the right frequency, introducing an imperceptible movement in the mouse across the desk.

You have attempted to disassemble the mouse to make sure there's not a piece of dust or an animal hair (if you have pets) that hasn't snuck in there?
While I know they've changed the designs on their mice, evident by the new Diamondback I bought a couple years ago, but this is kinda similar to what happens with my 2005 Copperhead when one of my Husky's undercoat hairs gets in the opening by the lens. Now the difference is that, atleast I assume, your mouse lacks the cavity for the sensor. Plus, you had cleaned it too so it rules out external debris. However, mine generally doesn't drift (rarely it can result in that) since it's something external and after the lens' focusing, but if it was something inside and behind the lens it could be reflecting (or refracting) light, causing the mouse to think it's being moved.

Is the drift a smooth transition across the screen, or jerky/shuddering? If it is't a smooth movement, is it random or is there a pattern in it?
I ask because if what you see is resembling a pattern, then perhaps it's a capacitor inside...

I also assume that this is a Wired model and not Wireless? Since battery would then be something to suggest heh

Other than that... I'm trying to think over all my years with my Copperhead (It's still my daily driver, I hate that new Diamondback and never use it)... I actually think that my own drift issue was when my cable had a break in it. If you can tape the mouse down and then while you look at the cursor, start to bend the cable along its length to see if it moves. I just can't recall if for certain it was the cable break or not, as I do recall it being a case of disconnecting the mouse, so I don't remember if it exhibited that prior (early stages, but totally broke) or if it was totally unrelated to that particular issue. At this point, its worth mention either way I guess. heh

Good luck and hope that helps some...

Trash the mouse and get a new one. :) Or RMA with Razer support if still under warranty (doubtful if it's been 6 years)

Back