Mouse connection.

micah

Limp Gawd
Howdy
This might be a dumb question but I really do not know the answer to it.
Tonight I was talking to a buddy of mine as he is wanting to get a new mouse. I was telling him about how much I like my MX700. And he asked me something that I could not answer as I have no clue.
A MX700 can hook up to both a USB port and a PS/2 port. Now the question is, Would anyone notice the difference in what port it was hooked up to ?
He asked me that and I have no clue. I myself have it hooked up to the PS/2 post and it seems to work just fine. But I know the USB is faster so would that help the mouse work any better ?

I think he is going to buy one as he has used mine one time. But I would like to be able to give him that answer before he picks one up so if anyone knows the answer please reply.

I looked in all the paper work that came with mine (I always save everything) and could not find where it says anything about a difference. So I feel that maybe it does not make a difference. But if someone can prove to me that it does make a difference I will have to switch it over lol. The only reason I always have it hooked up there is because I just done it the first time that way and never changed it. I have 3 free USB ports in the back and would be no problem changing it if I wanted to.

Anyway if you can give us a opinion on that thanks a lot :)

transfer rate isn't an issue with mice. I prefer PS2, its dedicated only to mouse and keyboard and nothing else, unlike USB.

There is really no difference. Some people say that they can set the ps/2 port to go faster than the usb port and that they can somehow tell the difference. I say that is a load of shit. Just plug it into whichever port you want. I have mine plugged into the usb port on the back of my keyboard because that way I only have one cable running to my computer(and a long mouse cable bunched up behind my keyboard:D ). Bottom line - neither one is really better than the other.

Back