Mouse and Keyboard stopped working after year of use

So I built a computer for a friend a year ago, and just recently it became cluttered with spy-ware and such from poor treatment, which caused the wireless card to stop functioning properly, anyways, I decided to clean it up and ran some antivirus and unlocker on it while in safe mode to delete some files which were undeletable in normal xp. After cleaning it, booting normally would take 10-20min load and when it did the mouse only worked. I said forget it so i reinstalled xp using a ps/2 mouse and keyboard, she had MCE 05 before and I had Professional on me, but MCE is technically professional with some added bonus so it shouldn't matter anyway. So, I reinstalled xp and the keyboard and mouse (Microsoft Desktop Wireless 3000 or something like that) functioned for a bit, and when they were detected by windows one froze up, so i had to plug in a ps/2 mouse and keyboard to use xp. I spent a long time, trying to install new drivers, disabling and enabling usb mouse and keyboard support in the bios, reinstalling windows, and it always ends with either the keyboard functioning and the mouse doesn't or the mouse functioning and the keyboard doesn't. Fast forward a week later, she bought a mouse and keyboard thats not wireless where both are usb, the keyboard works and the mouse stopped after two days. I'm very tempted to install some sort of Linux and experiment in that direction but she needs windows applications, so any advice or solutions would help.

I'm not sure of her exact setup but this is relatively close:

EVGA MOBO(has optical and the essentials and is about a year old, socket AM2 i believe)
AMD X2 Windsor/Brisbane
EVGA 8600GT
Ralink wireless card
and some other irrelevant information

honestly.. it really sounds like a problem with the motherboard.. maybe an issue with the keyboard or mouse drawing power through the usb port.. only suggestion would be to keep swapping between usb ports.. and if there are any on the case try those and see what happens..

Thats what I thought, maybe thats the reason why evga stopped making amd mobos =p I was thinking, I have a usb expansion i could pop in and plug into the mobo. Although saying the motherboard is faulty is very easy, but I think theres more to it, everything else that uses usb works perfectly fine, including the external harddrive.

Back