Mounting a rad internally inside a V2000/V2100?

Drudenhaus

2[H]4U
Anybody tried mounting a radiator (other than 1x120 size) internally inside a Lian Li V2000/V2100 in a way that doesn't involve cutting holes in the top of the case?

I was thinking of pulling out the HDD rail walls and "hanging" (drill a few holes and using some nylon spacers) a 2x120mm rad from the piece that separates the top section from the bottom section of the case. Of course I'd have to throw the HDDs in a 5.25" cage like this, but that's not a huge issue for me Has anybody tried this before?

I personally haven't done it, nor have I seen it done. The V2000 series of cases are so huge, that cutting 120mm holes for rads seem well.. needed! Do you not want to cut the holes? Can you? From your post I would assume you do NOT want to. Give your plan a try. What's the worst that could happen? Keep us infomed and good luck!

Steven

Stevennoland said:
I personally haven't done it, nor have I seen it done. The V2000 series of cases are so huge, that cutting 120mm holes for rads seem well.. needed! Do you not want to cut the holes? Can you? From your post I would assume you do NOT want to. Give your plan a try. What's the worst that could happen? Keep us infomed and good luck!

Steven

Well, I'd rather not cut up a $340 case if I don't have to... (especially since the top isn't replaceable)

I plan to order the rest of my setup this upcoming week so I'll try it out then and post pics if I find it do-able.

While my rads aren't in yet, I'm trying to figure out the same thing. From my measurements, I do NOT think they will stand on end in the bottom bay...it is about 1" too short. However, you may be able to lay one down and have it suck air in from the bottom of the case since the case is on risers. (This assumes you mount the PSU hanging from the thing rather than sitting on the riser and you remove the barrier in the bottom cage possibly even the backmost HDD cage.)

Ok I just took out all the crap from the bottom half the case...

rad2.jpg

rad1.jpg

I could probably fit a 3x120mm rad in there even (though it'd slightly hang over the PSU)... To the hardware store tomorrow (screw waiting for the rest of the setup)!

Dan over at DangerDen does not think a dual radiator will fit standing up in the bottom of the V2000. I was hoping someone would solve this, so I am really curious where this thread goes...

Keep sending you pics and ideas!

cheers

corban

corban said:
Dan over at DangerDen does not think a dual radiator will fit standing up in the bottom of the V2000. I was hoping someone would solve this, so I am really curious where this thread goes...

Keep sending you pics and ideas!

cheers

corban

Oh, it all fit in the bottom. I posted this in the sticky also; guess I just ever updated this thread.

wc.jpg

It's raised 1/2" with nylon spacers

Here are some pics...

radprep023.jpg

45463950.jpg

radmounted022.jpg

radmounted012.jpg

installed016.jpg

I now have a PA120.3 sitting in there now. I was inspired by the "Bucky" mod @ Frozen but thought I could clean it up a little.

ShoNuff, that is really badass! I bought a 2x120 rad since I didn't think a 3x120 would fit...damnit.

Great looking mod man - is it blowing hot air up into the case or pushing down through the rad though?

Volkum said:
Oh, it all fit in the bottom. I posted this in the sticky also; guess I just ever updated this thread.

wc.jpg

It's raised 1/2" with nylon spacers

Is the air blowing out the bottom, or sucking upwards off this setup. I'm thinking of doing this with a dual rad since it seems like it would fit in the front compartment of the bottom of the v2000. I've already got one of the front HD expansion kits for my HDs to go in...

interesting idea, I like it!

dnottis said:
Is the air blowing out the bottom, or sucking upwards off this setup. I'm thinking of doing this with a dual rad since it seems like it would fit in the front compartment of the bottom of the v2000. I've already got one of the front HD expansion kits for my HDs to go in...

interesting idea, I like it!

The fans are sucking air up through the rad. Since hot air rises, I figured it'd be better that way.

What do you mean by front compartment of the bottom? There's a 1x120 fan mount there but it definitely won't fit a 2x120 rad.

Thanks - at the bottom like you have it mounted, I measured and there seems to be enough room to mount a dual rad in the front "compartment" up till the divider with the rivots but mounted on the bottom you have it.

dnottis said:
Thanks - at the bottom like you have it mounted, I measured and there seems to be enough room to mount a dual rad in the front "compartment" up till the divider with the rivots but mounted on the bottom you have it.

Oh I forgot I had removed the divider. Silly me.

Wow, those are some nice internal w/c installations. If all else fails, or you don't want to cut up your case, you can build your own external detatchable watercooling box and put it on top of your case like I did:

DSC02371.jpg

2Fresh said:
Just cut 2 120mm holes in top and mount in drvebay.

You obviously didn't read my original post.

Volkum said:
Anybody tried mounting a radiator (other than 1x120 size) internally inside a Lian Li V2000/V2100 in a way that doesn't involve cutting holes in the top of the case?

The one below comes from this thread over at XS.

TCinside.jpg

Both a triple and dually in the same case. :eek:

Back