Mountain Lion Users Report Battery Drain

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple is getting a lot of feedback on its newest operating system, OS X Mountain Lion, unfortunately most of it has been negative. Reports have been coming in claiming battery life has been reduced drastically after installing the new OS. Apple engineers are gathering information on the causes and looking for fixes to the drain.

Users have tried to remedy the issue in a variety of ways, such as reinstalling Mountain Lion and turning off some of the operating system's new features, but the battery issues remain.

If they're working on it, then there's no reason to worry. It's probably something minor like a decimal point in the wrong spot. Programmers are always making mistakes like that. Go back to hitting your fax machines. There's nothing to see here. :)

Maybe these iSheep will realize that Apple isn't as perfect as they think they are. But then again, they've drank too much iKoolaid to realize that. Oh well.

apple will say "it's because you are using it correctly"

is it bad that is the first thing that popped in my head when i read the headline?

Mountain lion has a few minor bugs that I've found. Nothing insane.

Battery life is great for me, though. My MBPr pulled in nearly 9 hours this morning just writing up some code:)

They whip a patch and charge their users for it...
and it'll add more bugs.

Mountain lion has a few minor bugs that I've found. Nothing insane.

Battery life is great for me, though. My MBPr pulled in nearly 9 hours this morning just writing up some code:)

Same here, I noticed no difference from Lion (battery wise). It's kinda nice to actually get MORE battery life than advertised. :eek:

Maybe these iSheep will realize that Apple isn't as perfect as they think they are. But then again, they've drank too much iKoolaid to realize that. Oh well.

Their battery life is going to hell because they just can't stop using Mountain Lion. Duh! Just another case of Apple's magic in action! :rolleyes:

:D

My son has experienced this on his MacBook. Outside of that it has been pretty solid for him.

"Battery drain? What battery drain? I'm an avid mac user and upon installing ML I swear my battery life has at least doubled. I'm not sure about the validity of this information"

Right ?

Every new OS has bugs and issues, it's not that big of a deal.

If a Windows update did this, this thread would be very different.

Especially with Windows 8. Windows 8 will probably get significantly better battery life than previous versions of Windows but so what? Windows 8 sux according to many, so what if the battery life is better?

Didn't they have the same reports when 10.7 rolled out?

Every version of Mac OS since Leopard has had a gargantuan glaring issue right out the gate. Then they have the audactiy to release 10.6, which was one giant stability patch, as a new OS version, and actually CHARGE for it!

Tiger was awesome. Since then, Apple's desktop quality has been on a slow and steady decline, always being deferred to the almighty iOS. I want the pre-iOS Apple back.

Every version of Mac OS since Leopard has had a gargantuan glaring issue right out the gate. Then they have the audactiy to release 10.6, which was one giant stability patch, as a new OS version, and actually CHARGE for it!

Tiger was awesome. Since then, Apple's desktop quality has been on a slow and steady decline, always being deferred to the almighty iOS. I want the pre-iOS Apple back.

I've been reading up on this quite a bit. I don't own an Apple machine but it seems their issues are getting bigger and bigger with each OS update. There have been some serious issues with regards to 3rd party apps not working whatsoever with the new OS.

I think that as Apple gets larger in market share and in applications both, they'll ultimately face the same issues that Android does with respect to "out of the gate" compatibility. Considering that's usually the biggest claim laid against android, you might see quite a few Apple fanboys having to bite their tongue. The hardware variability isn't that drastic in comparison between the two; really there are only a few different SoCs in use in all of the mobile landscape so optimization isn't an issue anymore.

i'm did upgrade from 10.6 to 10.8 and hasn't noticed that much of difference in battery.

well it's same with all the OS, as more hardware gets implanted and more complicated it's hard to get them working in rhythm.

windows-8-will-probably-suck-4150-1317141475-7.jpg

Waiting for the 100+ page thread will windows 8 issues.

Funny how the reviews of Mountain Lion have been pretty positive everywhere, but here it's "the reviews are all negative." If I had a dollar for every time a hardcore PC user trashed Apple products then said "But if I could afford one..."

Funny how the reviews of Mountain Lion have been pretty positive everywhere, but here it's "the reviews are all negative." If I had a dollar for every time a hardcore PC user trashed Apple products then said "But if I could afford one..."

This isn't a review, just a post of a widespread problem that all new OSes suffer, Windows has them, OS X has then, iOS has them, Android has them, Linux has them, etc.

Jeebus....

Anyway, not the first time it's happened, won't be the last. It'll be fixed.

If they're working on it, then there's no reason to worry. It's probably something minor like a decimal point in the wrong spot. Programmers are always making mistakes like that. Go back to hitting your fax machines. There's nothing to see here. :)

Well if it's anything like their iOS, it's more than likely half arsed coding.

windows-8-will-probably-suck-4150-1317141475-7.jpg

Waiting for the 100+ page thread will windows 8 issues.

Wait Windows 95 is what propelled PC's popularity for gaming, and home use, either someone doesn't know shit prior to windows 98, or for the sake of a bad troll joke went with the pattern...rest of the joke is fine though.

You'd think a company with such limited variations of a product to test for wouldn't be having usability bugs upon every release. Especially ones that should be obvious the moment the update is applied. (Thunderbolt and boot freezing, for example)

Wait Windows 95 is what propelled PC's popularity for gaming, and home use, either someone doesn't know shit prior to windows 98, or for the sake of a bad troll joke went with the pattern...rest of the joke is fine though.

The chart was poorly made, probably to include Windows 3.1.

Should have been Win95 good, Win98 shit, Win98SE good, then so on. Alternatively, could have left out Win98SE, and replaced it with Win2k.

If a Windows update did this, this thread would be very different.

Not really

Start button / Control Panel / System and Security / Power Options / try power saver or adjust the multitude of options to your satisfaction

Mac?

I seriously wonder if it's a user accessible setting :)

Apple is getting a lot of feedback on its newest operating system, OS X Mountain Lion, unfortunately most of it has been negative.

Well it's feedback. So most of it's going to be negative to let Apple know it should be looked at. Hopefully Apple will get on the ball and fix this issue among others.

Wow, did you come up with that all by yourself?

Back