• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mount&Blade, fun swordfighting game...

I posted a thread about this game a few months back. Everybody shat on it because it doesn't have Half-Life2 quality graphics. It's sad, really, that people are more interested in flash than substance.

-Ace-
 
lol yaaaa I look at the screens and i'm like " ya I'll pasS"!

Whats fun about it.
 
Eh, I bothered downloading it.

It's... uh.. well? How to explain it without being completely negative.. WARNING: This post will be long and generally useless and opinion filled. Just read the next little paragraph if you aren't really interested in the game.

----

Mmmmkay, I assume most people around here have played Morrowind, right? It's like that, only with less graphical detail, a less fleshed out world, probably less diversity, and so on. That being said, it has horses that Morrowind doesn't.

Gameplay is a bit quirky. At first, I thought they ripped off Morrowind's "left/right + attack = slash, attack = overhead slash, forward/back = stab" system. However, after minimal testing, it looks like which swing you do is random. The blocking system is also a little odd; Essentially, you wait for the enemy to begin to pull back for a swing, then hold down your block key. You'll block whatever he sends at you, but if another enemy attacks at the same time or from a different angle you're screwed. This system isn't exactly perfect though.. you'll end up with a lot of comical "You swing! No, you stop blocking!!!, No, YOU SWING!" situations where the CPU doesn't want to waste its swing while you are guaranteed not to take damage. Same goes for when you're about to swing, but a human will just let the CPU block then attack again. Of course, this is all moot if you have a shield. Shields are a simple "Right click for full frontal nudi...errr invincibility" affair, but they do have HP so I assume they can break. My only complaint here is that shields are instant. You can cancel a swing midway through, and provided you are holding the block key when the enemy swing should hit, it'll block every time.

As for other gameplay elements.. archery is one I haven't figured out yet. From what I can tell, you hold the fire button to pull back the bow, then wait until the little crosshair-ish symbol tightens around the target, then release to fire. Simple, eh? Well, the downside is that as a level 1 newbie, your aim is somewhat.. sad. Horses are interesting, but strange sometimes. "Driving" the horse works like any other game's cars, just forward/back/left/right. Running into something at high speed causes the horse to rear up on its hind legs and stop. Running into a person will knock them down and do charge damage. Horses can be attacked and killed, which is probably the most amusing part of the game I've seen. Not the killing of defenseless horses mind you, but watching the rider do a cartwheel off and land on the ground, ready to be axe-ified. Attacking from horseback is either easy and cheap or practically impossible, depending on your weapon. Horseback archery in particular appears to be one of those "We know this could be hella cheap, so let's make you suck at it in the beginning" things.

I haven't explored much of the world except the little area where you start. There's other things to do in game, like use blunt weapons to KO people and sell them as slaves, or play as a merchant.. or just sit in town at the Arena and watch the CPU fight (heh). There's a suprising variety of equipment/armor to be had, but being a newbie it's mostly outta my reach.

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10, considering it's just two guys.It's strangely amusing, once you get around the lackluster graphics, sound.. gameplay.. uh.. ermm.. yea. I can't explain why, but I think I'll go play just a little bit more before deleting it.
 
Back
Top