Motorolla cable modem loses connection because of the date

obviouslytom

Fully [H]
I had comcast come out this morning and test all of the lines going to the house and inside the house and everything tested fine.

However, when the tech logged into the modem, it came up and said that it was 1970 and then sometimes, it would say that its 2010. This modem has been resetting every few minutes, especially when watching Netflix.

Is there a way to reset the modem so that it gets the right date or should I just go buy a new one?

The reason why it's saying 1970 in logs is because it has been reset has not yet got current time from NTP time server.

You say it resets when using high bandwidth with Netflix, it could be a bad modem. You also say the tech checked the physical connections around the house and I assume he checked all the signal strength/clarity.

Make sure your modem is DOCSIS 3 if you're on a DOCSIS 3 tier.

Last edited:
The reason why it's saying 1970 in logs is because it has been reset has not yet got current time from NTP time server.

You say it resets when using high bandwidth with Netflix, it could be a bad modem. You also say the tech checked the physical connections around the house and I assume he checked all the signal strength/clarity.

Make sure your modem is DOCSIS 3 if you're on a DOCSIS 3 tier.

I originally had a DOCSIS 3 modem but it died because of a lightning strike around my house. I replaced it with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem that I had and everything worked fine for about 2 months and now its just constant signal drops.

I will look at replacing the modem.

Back