Motorola's CEO to Get $66M Golden Parachute

Where in the article or Steve's post are you catching some political bias?

The highlighted part:

Ummm, can someone please tell me where I can sign up for deals like this? While most people are lucky to get a final paycheck when the company they work for gets bought out, guys like this are becoming millionaires.

to-do-list-troll-crossed-12862283356.jpg

For my ten years of highly rated performance moto gave me 6 weeks of pay and a nice brown box to put my things in.

Thanks moto!

Where Steve's wishing he could get a deal like that? That's liberal bias now?

The entire reason he posted it was inflammatory - political commentary drives traffic directly to ads.

If you can't understand that, well, once again - you'll never be an executive.

66M isn't even that much for a CEO. You have to realize that this guy most likely has at least 5 property s and 5 vehicles and mouths to feed. I think that 200 million would have been more appropriate as these guys are the brains of any big company and put in grueling hours. Going from upper rich to only middle rich might cause depression as he wont be able to buy himself and his family a new car for Christmas a long with a new property and jet.

Right, anything backing your political beliefs should just be universally accepted as unbiased because its convenient for you.

If you honestly don't see anything bias about this post or any other front page posts on [H], then that link applies much more to your viewpoint :)

Let me attempt to enlighten you a bit. A capitalist would, and should, be concerned about such large profits and excessive payouts to executives - because it is a sign of an inefficient market. Massive profits and executive pay @ 1000x average worker salary != capitalism, although that is what Americans are being told to believe.

Let me attempt to enlighten you a bit. A capitalist would, and should, be concerned about such large profits and excessive payouts to executives - because it is a sign of an inefficient market. Massive profits and executive pay @ 1000x average worker salary != capitalism, although that is what Americans are being told to believe.

You want to talk efficiency? Lets talk efficiency.
If Motorola was inefficient they wouldn't have talked google from a $35 per share buyout to a $40 per share buyout. If Motorola was inefficient they would eventually fall behind and file bankruptcy, as thats what happens to inefficient businesses. Unfortunately for you Motorola is efficient, largely because of the CEO. The CEO as expected receives an incentive in the form of currency for creating an efficient business. If there were no large incentives to make motorola more efficient, they would not have been bought out for $40, because they wouldn't be efficient. Its not that complicated...

Know whats awesome, is when these super hard working CEO's make such hard choices like out sourcing, lowering wages, eliminating benefits, etc. all in the name of increasing profits. I can see why they deserve 10's, if not 100's of millions of dollars for such difficult decisions.

I'm not saying he didn't get a sweet deal, but ...

If the job is so easy, how many here are CEO's of multi-billion international companies?

Getting the job and doing the job are two very different things.

Getting the CEO position at a publicly held company may be extremely difficult, while the actual workload may not be any more than babysitting and ass kissing.

Getting the CEO position at a family company could be entirely a function of nepotism, while actually keeping that family company afloat may be nigh impossible.

Or you know, anywhere in between. Just don't confuse the two issues.

We're talking apples and oranges. You're talking about the efficiency of Motorola - I'm talking about the efficiency of the market. If the market was efficient, other firms would enter seeing the large profits being made, and squeeze margins until only "normal" profits are earned. That's capitalism. The oligopoly/crony capitalist system we live in is not that.

Know whats awesome, is when these super hard working CEO's make such hard choices like out sourcing, lowering wages, eliminating benefits, etc. all in the name of increasing profits. I can see why they deserve 10's, if not 100's of millions of dollars for such difficult decisions.
You know whats awesome? When some moron who doesn't understand a thing about running a business pays his employees way over market value, doesn't care about profits, and goes out of business. Then everyone loses their jobs. Awesome huh?

We're talking apples and oranges. You're talking about the efficiency of Motorola - I'm talking about the efficiency of the market. If the market was efficient, other firms would enter seeing the large profits being made, and squeeze margins until only "normal" profits are earned. That's capitalism. The oligopoly/crony capitalist system we live in is not that.
I am not sure why we are talking about the entire market now... the topic was Motorola.

I will agree with you that the much of the economic system is tainted by crony capitalism. Any time Government gets in bed with business it ends up bad. How do you think GE ended up paying no taxes last year? But this is a totally different topic than what I was discussing.

I guess what I was trying to say that - if you see a CEO making such massive pay out of line with the median/average person due to making such massive profits, it should cause you concern about the overall system. I don't think there is anything "leftist" about that.

I recently read a survey that discussed CEO pay increases at fortune 500 companies over the past 20 years. If the minimum wage increased at the same rate as CEO pay during that time, it would currently be over $40 an hour. The system has gotten a bit "out of whack" in that time, but I don't know that there is really any better system available. I will leave that debate to the economists...

I am actually a tax attorney that deals mostly with executive compensation structuring, so this topic hits particularly close to home for me. Golden parachute payments have actually decreased a bit over the past few years because of pressure from ISS and Glass Lewis. So in years to come, we will read stories about these company execs receiving $30m for being fired, instead of $60m. :)

I guess what I was trying to say that - if you see a CEO making such massive pay out of line with the median/average person due to making such massive profits, it should cause you concern about the overall system. I don't think there is anything "leftist" about that.

Okay I guess we were both on different pages. I see what you are saying now but I would argue that short term large profits are to be expected even in a largely competitive market because of innovation within specific companies.

There are circumstances like you explained where a company earns large profits due to crony capitalism where the competition can't fully compete due to something like Government involvement, but I don't feel that there is much corruption in Motorola's specific market.

Sorry, but anyone who complains about deals like would be the first one to take it if they had the chance. He signed a good contract, and earned shareholders money. Motorola's phone division was in the toilet, and he actually turned it around into a company that started putting out products people wanted. The Cubs gave out tons of bad contracts, and I don't see anyone blaming Carlos Zambrono or Soriano for the contract. Blame them if they don't perform or live up to expectations, but everyone blames management, as they should.

Hey, if you performed well at your job and your boss didn't recognize it, that's bad management. Put it on your resume, and move on.

Bunch of whiny social progressive bitches in here.

Welcome to the brave new world, where every dipshit kid living in his moms basement is an expert on everything, and feels the playing field should be always be level for everyone, regardless of their abilities or skills.

All you assgaskets who think CEO's get paid too much, go start a fucking company and make it hugely successful, if you think its so easy.

Ummm, can someone please tell me where I can sign up for deals like this? While most people are lucky to get a final paycheck when the company they work for gets bought out, guys like this are becoming millionaires.

I don't even know him, and I can tell you that he would take the money over any political message. There isn't a hidden agenda at work here.

All you assgaskets who think CEO's get paid too much, go start a fucking company and make it hugely successful, if you think its so easy

QFT

I'd take the money and so would you.

I'm not saying he didn't get a sweet deal, but ...

If the job is so easy, how many here are CEO's of multi-billion international companies?

Your line of reasoning is impeccable. Take a type of job for which there are only a couple dozen positions in existence, then justify its pay by asking why hundreds of members of a forum don't have similar jobs.

Brilliant.

Bunch of whiny social progressive bitches in here.

Knew the Kool Aid drinkers would be along soon.

Welcome to the brave new world, where every dipshit kid living in his moms basement is an expert on everything, and feels the playing field should be always be level for everyone, regardless of their abilities or skills.

All you assgaskets who think CEO's get paid too much, go start a fucking company and make it hugely successful, if you think its so easy.

Projecting a bit? This CEO joined the company in 2008. So much for starting a company. :rolleyes: Actually, he's probably going to make off with more than the initial owners of Motorola have made from the company.

Its getting easier and easier to spot the people who are so far to the right that they support a self-destructive brand of capitalism.

You are a genuine FOOL if you believe today's corporate structure actually benefits the successful at the exclusion of the unsuccessful.

Motorola's stock price is within a couple bucks of where it was when he took over. "GOOD JOB SIR!!!! HERE'S YOUR $66,000,000" :rolleyes: You guys are seriously brainwashed.

Your line of reasoning is impeccable. Take a type of job for which there are only a couple dozen positions in existence, then justify its pay by asking why hundreds of members of a forum don't have similar jobs.

Brilliant.

:D

-

Projecting a bit? This CEO joined the company in 2008. So much for starting a company. :rolleyes: Actually, he's probably going to make off with more than the initial owners of Motorola have made from the company.
Im not projecting shit. If its so easy, why don't more people do it?

Its getting easier and easier to spot the people who are so far to the right that they support a self-destructive brand of capitalism.
Companies are free to pay their employees/officers as much as they want. As opposed to the super left who think the janitor should make as much as the CEO, after all, all humans are equal, right?

You are a genuine FOOL if you believe today's corporate structure actually benefits the successful at the exclusion of the unsuccessful.
Stop trying to be so one-dimensional. I personally am VERY intelligent and skillful, but I've started 4 companies over my life and I've learned that I have almost zero sales and marketing skills, and zero experience running a large company. If you think CEO's just sit around all day rolling naked in their money, you are a moron. I consider myself successful, but I have NO business being a CEO of a big company.

Motorola's stock price is within a couple bucks of where it was when he took over. "GOOD JOB SIR!!!! HERE'S YOUR $66,000,000" :rolleyes: You guys are seriously brainwashed.
So how did he get this golden parachute? Gunpoint? Mind control? Or did the board sign off on it willingly?

Same can be said on the other side of things, from tea partiers to die hard "conservatives"... sad thing is the ones who are heard the most know the least.

Same can be said on the other side of things, from tea partiers to die hard "conservatives"... sad thing is the ones who are heard the most know the least.

Its true, modern politics has become totally polarized, and only the loudest voices on either side get any traction. Moderates will soon be extinct.

Its true, modern politics has become totally polarized, and only the loudest voices on either side get any traction. Moderates will soon be extinct.

lol Sorry but the moderates are the only ones who get attention. Tea partiers may be psychopaths but they are moderates.

Motorola is such a sad company. They had a firm grip on the market, but had no leadership worth a damn. Instead they had fiefdoms and infighting amongst people trying to gain power - their phone offerings reflected small minded, incremental improvement crap devices (which we thought were great). They had first access to all the latest processors, etc. but it was suicide to stick your neck out and say, we should do a phone like this (iphone or whatever). I'm not an Apple fanbois at all, but the value of a leader that can OWN the companies various departments with conviction and give the company visionary leadership is very rare. Fortunately, Motorola is the posterchild for failure and maybe other big idiot companies who make money by default will start to wake up. If you don't, you're next.

a leader that can OWN the companies various departments with conviction and give the company visionary leadership is very rare.

I have to agree with this.

leadership.jpg

Im not projecting shit. If its so easy, why don't more people do it?

Read my previous response to another person who insinuated the same thing. A few posts back. Good luck.

Companies are free to pay their employees/officers as much as they want. As opposed to the super left who think the janitor should make as much as the CEO, after all, all humans are equal, right?

Pretty sure no one thinks the janitor should make as much as the CEO. They are free to pay them, no doubt, but the government should tax the living shit out of people like the Motorola CEO.

Stop trying to be so one-dimensional. I personally am VERY intelligent and skillful, but I've started 4 companies over my life and I've learned that I have almost zero sales and marketing skills, and zero experience running a large company. If you think CEO's just sit around all day rolling naked in their money, you are a moron. I consider myself successful, but I have NO business being a CEO of a big company.

Funny, you're still equating the term CEO with "started the company" or "contributed to the success of the company". In some cases that might be true, but the modern corporate system does not involve much of anyone who did the truly hard work. For instance this CEO was hired in 2008, presided over a massive stock price drop, then brought it back up to his hiring date levels... GREAT JOB SIR!!! How does this CEO deserve a $66M payout? Its the same with the big banks, and many (most) other industries.

CEO's have the best risk/reward tradeoff in the history of the Universe. They resemble a business owner as much as the Janitor does.

Do nothing: Earn millions
Do some good: Earn a few million more
Bury the company and ruin the lives of thousands: Earn millions

So how did he get this golden parachute? Gunpoint? Mind control? Or did the board sign off on it willingly?

As relevant as that may sound, the board is part of the same structure of reward with no risk. If the company collapsed with them at the helm, none of them would have any real financial hardship... unless they didn't pay for their yacht in cash.

Another liberal anti-capitalist post on hardocp, what a surprise. At least their attempt at far-left propaganda is linked to a tech company, although the story still has no real relevancy on this site. Is it too much to ask for a tech website that stays away from forming a political agenda and just gives me tech news? Apparently it is.

You're crazy if you think this site has a liberal bias. It's infested with conservatives, and that includes the news posts. Nothing about this post was liberal or anti-capitalist. You obviously don't know what those words even mean.

Back