Motorola's Bootloader encryption possibly cracked

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...re-cracked-custom-recovery-roms-now-possible/

More to come so make sure you check those Android news websites. ;) Moto legal has made nenolod pull the keys. However, they are out there now so there is no stopping this. The guys from @FreeMyMoto are currently doing their best to confirm this. Hopes are high and no matter what Motorola does if this is real the dev community will prevail and the Milestone, Droid X, Droid 2 and possibly even Droid Bionic will enjoy the freedoms of true custom ROM's.

Only real surprise for me is how long it took. :)

Oh, and now I have to wonder if Motorola will go after the guy like Sony is going after Geohot. I mean really, big companies, get over it... if you put out products, and people buy them, you just gave up any control the moment you sold it, geez.

Only real surprise for me is how long it took. :)

Oh, and now I have to wonder if Motorola will go after the guy like Sony is going after Geohot. I mean really, big companies, get over it... if you put out products, and people buy them, you just gave up any control the moment you sold it, geez.

Its kind of hard to go after a guy for putting the keys up. Its another thing to go after a guy that comes out with a tool that utualize's the key to crack it and then advertise your software as the only one in the world that can actually crack it.

The hard part here is that the XDA and Android rom cooking community already walks a thin rope between our desires and the phone manufacturers blind eye towards the modding community. None of the big guns will want to be caught using the keys for anything, otherwise it will compromise all the work that they do on everything else. Is giving a true rom replacement solution to Dx and Atrix users really worth losing out on all the work they are doing for Dinc, G1, G2, Galaxy S, Evo, and so on?

Its kind of hard to go after a guy for putting the keys up. Its another thing to go after a guy that comes out with a tool that utualize's the key to crack it and then advertise your software as the only one in the world that can actually crack it.

The hard part here is that the XDA and Android rom cooking community already walks a thin rope between our desires and the phone manufacturers blind eye towards the modding community. None of the big guns will want to be caught using the keys for anything, otherwise it will compromise all the work that they do on everything else. Is giving a true rom replacement solution to Dx and Atrix users really worth losing out on all the work they are doing for Dinc, G1, G2, Galaxy S, Evo, and so on?

In the end we wouldn't be giving up anything. It is not illegal to gain root access. It is not illegal to do whatever you want to your hardware.

HTC tried locking down the G2 and the Tbolt. They failed hard. Motorola has only partially succeeded in stopping the dev community. The community quickly found a way to bootstrap the system to allow custom ROMs. While it's an imperfect system (lack of custom kernels) it lets people remove bloatware and stupid Launchers like Blur and make the phone more their own.

Sorry all you DX users. @nenolod who claimed to have devised this method was making it all up. Basically he trolled the entire Android Dev Community. :(

Sorry all you DX users. @nenolod who claimed to have devised this method was making it all up. Basically he trolled the entire Android Dev Community. :(

Lol, wow. Not that really cared much since I doubt I'll have another Moto phone after the Droid 1, but that's ridiculous. I never understood "trolling". Are these people attention starved or something? Almost as bad as that girl who said Japan deserved what they got for not believing in god (then made another vid saying it was a troll after 4chan got her address/phone number, lol).

Lol, wow. Not that really cared much since I doubt I'll have another Moto phone after the Droid 1, but that's ridiculous. I never understood "trolling". Are these people attention starved or something? Almost as bad as that girl who said Japan deserved what they got for not believing in god (then made another vid saying it was a troll after 4chan got her address/phone number, lol).

Yeah it is disappointing. I was hoping it was real because I really wanted that encrypted bootloader crammed down Motorola's throat.

Oh well. Just means I'm glad i didn't wait for the Bionic and got my Tbolt.

Speaking of my Tbolt I guess it's time to log into Twitter and bombard @htc with tweets in order to get them to release the Tbolt kernel source code. I'm having CyanogenMod withdrawals. :eek:

In the end we wouldn't be giving up anything. It is not illegal to gain root access. It is not illegal to do whatever you want to your hardware.

HTC tried locking down the G2 and the Tbolt. They failed hard. Motorola has only partially succeeded in stopping the dev community. The community quickly found a way to bootstrap the system to allow custom ROMs. While it's an imperfect system (lack of custom kernels) it lets people remove bloatware and stupid Launchers like Blur and make the phone more their own.

But it is illegal thanks to the DMCA to circumvent encryption. I guy getting the key and using it to open up his device is one thing, someone else releasing a tool to the world to do the same thing is another.

I am not saying that the community support in for the DX is any smaller than any other tool, that isn't true. In fact for several months it had one of the largest. Just saying that the big guns would have held or if they were smart would have held back on releasing a tool to implement unlocking the bootloader as that would have brought the attention of Moto and may have cost them the ability to develop their custom roms for all of the unlocked tools out there. We already lost one developer because he had a unknowingly uploaded a unreleased manufacturers rom.

The Moto bootloader will never be cracked. As an Atrix owner this is dissapointing, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Moto Blur isn't as bad as everyone made it out to be and the phone is still fast as hell. Probably the fastest phone on the market right now, kicks the iphones ass all over the place.

But it is illegal thanks to the DMCA to circumvent encryption. I guy getting the key and using it to open up his device is one thing, someone else releasing a tool to the world to do the same thing is another.

I am not saying that the community support in for the DX is any smaller than any other tool, that isn't true. In fact for several months it had one of the largest. Just saying that the big guns would have held or if they were smart would have held back on releasing a tool to implement unlocking the bootloader as that would have brought the attention of Moto and may have cost them the ability to develop their custom roms for all of the unlocked tools out there. We already lost one developer because he had a unknowingly uploaded a unreleased manufacturers rom.

As of last July, Congress exempts phones from the DMCA.

Back