Motorola SBG901 kept rebooting, so I bought an uBee. Anyone else own one of these?

ArbY

Limp Gawd
My Motorola SBG901 is continually rebooting throughout the day. It's Docsis 2.0, and the ISP is Comcast. If I call Comcast out and the tech determines there is no line noise or any problems on their end, I have to pay a service fee. I want to avoid that.

I ordered the "uBee DDM3513 Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem" (Amazon Link) because I learned that Comcast is now installing this brand of cable modems for their customers. Also, the only 5 reviews on Amazon are all 5 stars. In the latest firmware, you're not able to view a configuration page, but I believe it is a straight modem so I can live with that since my ASUS RT-N16 (DD-WRT) is what I'd prefer to do any configuration on.

Does anyone else own an uBee DDM3513? I am very interested to hear what others have to say about it, or a similar model.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've always heard good stuff about uBee modems. Lots of cable companies use them.

usually the modem won't the be the cause of random reboots.. it's everything before it.. the line, the splitters etc

As I said, I bought the uBee already and installed it earlier today. My download speeds went from an "up to" 12Mbps to a confirmed 26Mbps. Comcast checked the lines, service area (remotely, however), and saw no problems on their end. There have been no reboots thus far. If there are, I'll be sure to report them here, and at that point a tech would need to come out. It appears to me that the SBG901 is a piece of dog poop. There are many posts on the Comcast forums where people have the same problem as I've described. Since uBee seems to deal in wholesale, you likely won't be receiving support from them if you ever encounter a device failure (they require a minimum amount of 30 units in order to submit an RMA). They make exceptions if you submit a request in writing, but for one unit I wouldn't hold my breath if it ever came to that. However, there were no prerequisites for calling their technical support phone number.

My SBG901 rebooted every day, several times a day. If this doesn't reboot at all today, I can probably say that the modem was indeed the problem and my bitcoin mining will no longer be interrupted. (kidding :))

It's been about a week now. No reboots, no interruptions, no complaints. Happy with my purchase. :)

Back