Motorola SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem $69.99 - Ebay (NewEgg)

Not bad. I paid almost $20 more for this model a few months back. Works well, no complaints.

Good modem for TWC people. I talked to numerous TWC reps trying to get a Netgear C3700 cable modem activated for more than 24 hours. Eventually a L2 Tech told me to just return it and buy a Moto 6141 since "Everyone here knows how to configure those without a problem".

Cool. But I hear The SB6183 is the new model that supports 16x4 bonded channels. Cable companies are requiring this upgrade if you have the 100/200/300Mbs option in your area.

I bought one last year from Amazon. I live in small town along Lake Huron and get decent speeds (68Mbps down, 5Mbps up) considering ten years ago all we had available was 56k dialup(Burn in Hell US Robotics modem :p). Has been very solid with connections to Charter, like the SB 6121 I used before it. p.s. Wanted to add what many others have said about it, the blue LED lights for high speed are obscenely bright.

I bought this off of Newegg a while back for $85, came with a free wifi router (very cheap, still in the box). No complaints.

Cool. But I hear The SB6183 is the new model that supports 16x4 bonded channels. Cable companies are requiring this upgrade if you have the 100/200/300Mbs option in your area.

Too funny. Doesn't feel like all that long ago that I upgraded to the SB6141 and thought "whoa.... 8 channels!"

That said, its been fairly easy for quite a while to get a SB6141 from Staples in the $60 range using $25 or $30 off coupons you can find on Slickdeals and other places.

You can do 100 on the 6141. You get appx 36mb down per qam/channel.

I bought this thing a year ago and have had no regrets. With the $7 less I was spending on modem rental per month, it paid itself off in a little under a year. Definitely recommend if your a TWC / Comcast customer as I've used it with both services.

This is tempting. I've been eyeing this modem for when I get Comcast hooked up in the new house but I've been seeing some spotty reviews with Comcast(and other ISP's) regarding the setup and configuration of it. Once people got it working right it was great but it took tier 2/3 ISP support go get it there.

Based on Comcast's supported modem guide, it only has 1 stair which just indicated thats its not been thoroughly tested and confirmed to work. The SB6121 however has all 3 of the stairs and the common fix I was seeing was applying the 6121 boot file to the 6141.

I don't see myself getting over 100mb for a while so the 6121 will suffice but it sure would be nice to be a bit more future proofed incase comcast offers over 100mb at a somewhat reasonable price.

Anyone have any issues?

You can do 100 on the 6141. You get appx 36mb down per qam/channel.

My SB6141 does a little better than that on Cox. I know this thing will go faster but they don't offer a higher tier in residential (that I'm aware of)

hytW7Rh.png

I looked around yesterday and the SB6183 is a real bitch to find for sale anywhere. Seriously, good luck finding a single shopping link. Doesn't matter if you google Arris SB6183 or Motorola SB6183, results are the same -- zilch. Sometimes it'll pop up on ebay but not with regularity. I wonder if production somehow ground to a halt for a period in the transition from Motorola to Arris.

I went with the Zoom modem just now (linked above). I was already considering it for a few days now. It just seems to be the more proven and well liked contender. Plus it isn't any more expensive. I figure it will pay most of itself off anyway, I don't care about saving like 30 bucks. I'm just fed up with the crappy Xfinity modem/router they give you by default. The wireless on it is just underwhelming. It's probably on par with (or worse) than a WRT54G. I can't even play movie files over my network (ie one computer to another) without them dropping out like mad. Plus I've had trouble with some sites loading slowly and have no desire to take part in this Xfinity Wifi crap.

The router I went with is something the rest of my family has been
using for a while:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Wirel...UTF8&qid=1404867860&sr=8-1&keywords=archer+c7
About 80 bucks used, which is good for an AC router
They've been having problems lately or so they claim, but I'm pretty sure it's just them contracting spyware or something as it has been working fine for over a year until recently.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I went with the 6141 over the 6121. Its a nice modem. Handles our 60mbit/12mbit with no trouble. I can count on one hand how many times I have reset it within a year. Solid modem. Nice price too.

The lights are bright. Haha.

Got one from WM on sale and love it. the LED's are very bright. I use electrical tape to cover the LED lights, and the light still comes from the air openings on the front edges, but that's a good thing to see if everything is still working.

I just got the Zoom modem that someone linked earlier in the thread from Amazon today... it was supposed to be here Monday, but well I'm not complaining. I got the router yesterday, too.

Modem was pretty much painless to set up. Just hooked it up and followed the on screen things. A few hiccups, but that was just Comcast's web activator (didn't have to call in or anything). Had the same issue with the modem they provided. After that, it's working flawlessly now. Internet seems to be much snappier as well. Sites actually load like you're loading HTML and images at 57/12, not 15/2.

The router is also better by miles. The Archer C7 is really competent for only being 80 bucks. No lag streaming high definition video from the hard drive on this computer to my Surface Pro, and doesn't throttle the internet speeds at all due to inadequacy. My only thoughts are that I should have done this much, much sooner.

Pretty good deal on the Moto SB6141! Especially if you're limited on equipment selection for your ISP.

But...
Zoom 5341J.

Here's mine through a Belkin AC900 router to my desktop over 5GHz AC wireless:

I have a middle speed tier ISP plan....100/10 (same plan was recently upped from 75/5.

Yeah, my SB6141 has been working well for the month that I have had it. No hiccups or restarts needed and it was mostly painless to get it activated on Comcast.

I had to directly connect a computer first to do it, couldn't use my router, but the router I had was old and might be having other issues.

Seems like a good bet so far.

I put my cable modem and router where people can't see them, problem solved :D

The new Moto 6183 cable modem got rid of the blinking blue LED "activity" light.

I must be the only one who has an issue with this device. Switched from the default Time Warner provided gateway and I get disconnects at least once per day, often multiple times per day. The gateway will simply reboot itself for no reason. I contacted Motorola/ARRIS support and provided the screenshots of the upstream/downstream values but gave me the run around and said it was a Time Warner issue (despite the fact the default Time Warner gateway worked fine for months with nary a hiccup).

I must be the only one who has an issue with this device. Switched from the default Time Warner provided gateway and I get disconnects at least once per day, often multiple times per day. The gateway will simply reboot itself for no reason. I contacted Motorola/ARRIS support and provided the screenshots of the upstream/downstream values but gave me the run around and said it was a Time Warner issue (despite the fact the default Time Warner gateway worked fine for months with nary a hiccup).

Where did you buy it? Was the box still shrinkwrapped?

Before you mess with it talk to a tech for your cable company.

The upstream will just lock up and reboot the modem. There are hundreds of threads about this shit and everybody keeps acting like its a fantastic modem so i dont get it. I will tell you the third mediacom guy that came to troubleshoot this shit told me at least 1/4 of trouble shooting calls are the same thing with the same modem. I know my signals here are actually really good and it works fine with any other modem so take that FWIW.

To all those saying how great it is check your uptime.

I know they at least used to be great modems but it would seem something is seriously wrong with the later batches of it. That would also explain why its literally on sale constantly, in fact this deal is pretty meh considering it was $5 less a couple weeks ago.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7020526-motorola-surfboard-sb6141-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-65-free-shipping

Oh and to be clear i bought mine at target still sealed etc.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I almost got the zoom but I have heard of some overheating issues about them. This was word of mouth from a cable guy so I can't say I have any proof. I ended up with the 6141 but now my new provider is fiber so I can't even use the thing..

If I were to do it again today I would get the zoom for the lower cost.

I almost got the zoom but I have heard of some overheating issues about them. This was word of mouth from a cable guy so I can't say I have any proof. I ended up with the 6141 but now my new provider is fiber so I can't even use the thing..

If I were to do it again today I would get the zoom for the lower cost.

I just got a 5341J and installation on Comcast was really simple, much nicer than the old days (finally replacing the ancient Motorola SB5100 that was my first cable modem).

So far it doesn't seem to be getting particularly warm. I could be that the overheating problems were with the 5341 model -- along with changing the chipset in the `J' (from a TI chip like the Motorolas, to a Broadcom one) apparently they also added a heatsink:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26543001-Zoom-5341G-4x4-vs-Zoom-5341J-8x4-

No heat issues on my 5341J FWIW. Very pleased with it, very easy to get setup with Comcast. My folks have a 5341 (non-J) and it does seem to get a bit warm, but hasn't caused any issues.

Good modem for TWC people. I talked to numerous TWC reps trying to get a Netgear C3700 cable modem activated for more than 24 hours. Eventually a L2 Tech told me to just return it and buy a Moto 6141 since "Everyone here knows how to configure those without a problem".

time warner cable told me ITS YOUR MODEMS FAULT WE DONT EVEN WANT TO START LOOKING OUR CONNECTION ISSUES

even though i got the model that they recommend i get. I cannot get anywhere with this brain-dead company.

Last edited:
Never had any issues with TWC and my own personally-owned modem. They can tell if your modem is reachable and if there is a problem they'll send out a tech.

Never had any issues with TWC and my own personally-owned modem. They can tell if your modem is reachable and if there is a problem they'll send out a tech.

The problem isn't if they can reach it or not, the problems come when their incompetent techs program it incorrectly. There is no automation to the process, if you guy your own modem, you are solely at the mercy of their reps doing the correct thing to get your modem to work. In the case of my Netgear modem, they had no freaking clue how to configure it even though it is on their supported modem page. Then when it did work, it only functioned for a few hours. After a few days and many hours on the phone, everything was perfectly working for me, only to have the modem immediately stop functioning again after I upgraded my service. The L2 told me changing service sends some initialization information to the mode, and in my case they sent the wrong information. That is the same guy that told me to go buy a Motorola modem.

Interesting. My 6141 has worked great from day 1. Sorry you are having those issues.

Back