Motorola SB6120 Extreme Docsis 3 cable modem

What is the process involved with the cable company if one were to purchase this and return their leased modem?

What is the process involved with the cable company if one were to purchase this and return their leased modem?

It will depend on who your cable company is. For me it was comcast, I just returned the leased modem to the closest service center, and filled out some paper work saying I returned it. The new one droped in and worked out of the box for a few days, but then i guess their system caught up with it and I had to talk to a tech support guy so he could get the model and connect to it.

Well, I just purchased the Netgear 3500 gigabit wireless router for this and it rocks. I was really happy at how easy it was to get everything up and running. Resource CD took care of everything. Found our Nintendo Wii no prolem. I also like having better security on this compared to my 2002 Linksys. Downloads went from 4Mbps to 21-22Mbps. Can't believe the old Linksys was holding it back that much.

Motorola SB6120+Netgear 3500 gigabit wireless router=Home Network Heaven :):D

I got mine yesterday. I've had issues with getting it working and comcast couldn't seem to figure out the problem. The tech said something about it timing out. Anyway, I get internet for 30 seconds or so before the lights go off on my modem and it has to reestablish a connection. So now I'm on some list to get a call from higher up support.

However, I will say that when it does work, the speeds are awesome. I'm on their "blast" plan which is supposed to be 20mbps if you count speedboost (so realistically 16mbps or so), which is what I normally got (well actually generally less that 16mbps). Anyway, my average down speed now is around 22mbps. The weird thing though is that my up speed dropped from around 4.5mbps to almost exactly 3.0mbps. Whatever...

I got mine yesterday. I've had issues with getting it working and comcast couldn't seem to figure out the problem. The tech said something about it timing out. Anyway, I get internet for 30 seconds or so before the lights go off on my modem and it has to reestablish a connection. So now I'm on some list to get a call from higher up support.

However, I will say that when it does work, the speeds are awesome. I'm on their "blast" plan which is supposed to be 20mbps if you count speedboost (so realistically 16mbps or so), which is what I normally got (well actually generally less that 16mbps). Anyway, my average down speed now is around 22mbps. The weird thing though is that my up speed dropped from around 4.5mbps to almost exactly 3.0mbps. Whatever...

This is exactly what happens to me. It will connect and then disconnect on the ISP side for some unknown reason. I checked the router and modem logs to see what was going on, thinking it was maybe the hardware. What happens for me, is that after about 10 disconnects and reconnects it finally gets a good hook on the ISP and then the connection is fantastic. I used to reset things every once in a while, now I don't dare touch it if it is running well. Cox had no idea what was happening after 2 tech trips. I simply don't touch it if it is connected now.

No problems with mine and comcast. I did replace a 4 year old dcm-202 which couldnt stay connected to a game for more than 10min without kicking you off.

I did have to give the comcast dude the #'s off the modem 4-5 times before it would work, and it seemed to take forever.

This is exactly what happens to me. It will connect and then disconnect on the ISP side for some unknown reason. I checked the router and modem logs to see what was going on, thinking it was maybe the hardware. What happens for me, is that after about 10 disconnects and reconnects it finally gets a good hook on the ISP and then the connection is fantastic. I used to reset things every once in a while, now I don't dare touch it if it is running well. Cox had no idea what was happening after 2 tech trips. I simply don't touch it if it is connected now.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one with this issue.

lol, Comcast must be messing with some settings trying to get it working, cause my speeds keep going up and up and up. It has settled around 35mbps down and 13mbps up now, as compared to the 16mbps down and 4.5mbps up that I had yesterday before I switched modems. I don't seem to be losing my connection anymore either, so hopefully they fixed it and I'm going to get to keep these speeds, cause 35mbps is frakking awesome.

You will get a benefit with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem even without higher speeds as packets are load balanced across multiple downstreams, so if 1 of the downstreams is saturated (typically by DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 modems which can only lock onto a single downstream at a time) you will not notice a drop in performance. Just a FYI that you don't have to buy the expensive high speed plan with these modems.

I picked one of these a while back from Fry's to try it out. I got Comcast to register the new modem NIC but it would not connect. The Comcast rep said that I need to have DOCSIS 3.0 service for the modem to work. So I ended up returning the modem. This was in the San Francisco Bay Area. Was the guy pulling my leg?

Do you know of any cases where someone was able to use the Modem with DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 service? What you say makes sense especially if the DOCSIS protocols are backwards compatible. Of course it could just be Comcast using IT to implement a block.

The Comcast rep said that I need to have DOCSIS 3.0 service for the modem to work...Was the guy pulling my leg?...Do you know of any cases where someone was able to use the Modem with DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 service? What you say makes sense especially if the DOCSIS protocols are backwards compatible. Of course it could just be Comcast using IT to implement a block.

By everything I have read and experienced, this modem will work in areas that are not DOCSIS 3.0 ready. I know I don't have a DOCSIS 3.0 package but my area is ready for it, thus I get bonded channels on my package. BUT, everbody else I have spoken with who is not in a DOCSIS 3.0 was still able to use this modem on the older architecture. I would look into your area and ISP with anybody who had similar issues. I would hate to think they are blocking a certain modem???

It will depend on who your cable company is. For me it was comcast, I just returned the leased modem to the closest service center, and filled out some paper work saying I returned it. The new one droped in and worked out of the box for a few days, but then i guess their system caught up with it and I had to talk to a tech support guy so he could get the model and connect to it.

You just want to make sure you hold onto that document which states you returned your leased modem. It's happened to me twice where with Comcast and Charter I returned a leased modem and then returned it to use mine only to have them bill me a cable modem rental fee and accuse me of never returning it. Sons of bitches

Mine is on the way here right now. Got it for $65 used(ebay) but supposedly in like new condition. I just have a feeling that even if I give back my ISP's modem, they will not lower my bill at all. I will respond back and confirm this when I hook it up though.

Either way, I got it for the better speeds(crossing fingers).

went to order from amazon and it says this now

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here

The most recent published feedback has been wildly positive, so I wonder what the heck is going on -- especially since I got mine on Saturday. (Went from roughly 12/.5 to 12/3 on Comcast in Minneapolis.)

How does one go about trying to determine if his area (in my case Charter Comm.) has upgraded their infrastructure or would benefit from this at all?

Jumped on one of these a few mos back. Cost me $99 but was worth every penny. Major benefits on Comcast (yes I have DOCSIS 3 in my area) out of the box. I had tried one of the Ubee D3 modems offered in my area and it was complete junk.

I did find that D3 is very sensitive to line quality however... I was having major problems with maintaining a bonded connection. I wound up having to replace the line from the demark to the modem and re-terminating the line from the street. This was after having a cable guy check the signal quality and being told it was fine. Turns out the meters they are using (at least in my area) are not capable of properly measuring for a D3 signal. One very nice feature of the Moto was that when it couldn't bond it would revert and connect on 1 channel. The POS Ubee just dropped me like a bad habit.

Just to clarify some things. You don't need a router with a wan side that is gigabit to get full speed from the modem. If a new router fixes connection problems for you with this modem you probably would have gotten higher speeds with your old modem if it was docsis 2.0 and functioning correctly along with the new router.

On the SB6120 there are three lights that can be blue that determine connection type.

Link light orange/amber = 10/100 sensed on WAN side
Link light blue = 1000 sensed on WAN side

Receive light green = downstream connected
Receive light blue = downstream connected and bonded

Send light green = upstream connect
Send light blue = upstream connected and bonded

*the modem is backwards compatible and should work on docsis 2.0 only networks, however this is highly determined on your cable companies end in regard to if they have a firmware qualified for their network that they can push to your device.

I'm on Charter in WI and it looks like we might still be on DOCSIS 2.0 cause my receive/send lights are all green. And everythings working fine.
The one and only thing I like about Charter now is that when you get a new modem, you just swap it out and open up a web page and you get a Charter page that tells you that it's seeing a new modem and asks you what you'd like to do. I just choose replace modem and bam in just a few minutes I was good to go. Hell didn't even have to contact Charter! :D

I'd like to get this but Time Warner around here is still only DOCSIS 2.0 (with a high of 15/1...). There have been new lines going up everywhere that aren't power. Hopefully it's them getting ready to upgrade.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

just got mine from newegg for 85$ shipped.

Comcast performance plan 12MB/2MB 29.99 6 months.

The call center tech came to the conclusion that my modem was DOA. However I was able to access the modem setup page. I was pissed and was ready to box it up and send it back to new egg. Came back from dinner 30 minutes later and noticed receive light was now blue and was able to get on the internet!

before

SB5120
6MB /2MB plan
22MB burst, 15MB average
-----------------------------------------------

now...
SB6120
12MB/2MP
60MB burst(according to speedtest), 15MB average

Pretty sweet so far. Modem does take a while to power on thought compared to the 5120.

Does anyones "SEND" light stay blue? or does it only turn blue when you have a big upload etc. Right now only my link & recieve are blue.

My modem doesn't sit close enough to me while I am using the net for me to see the activity lights. It may because my ISP said I have bonded channel capable for up and down on my plan. I will have to check.

I don't know.. This modem rocks. I went from 11mbps to 50mbps with Comcast. I didn't even have to change my plan. I don't know how this is possible but it's almost like my area is limited to the modem that is leased to said customer.

Does anyones "SEND" light stay blue? or does it only turn blue when you have a big upload etc. Right now only my link & recieve are blue.

Receive - blue means downstream channel bonding is active, green means 1 channel
Send - blue means upstream channel bonding is active, green means 1 channel
Link - blue means 1gbit negotiated, amber 100mbit

Last edited:
Picked this up yesterday, arrived today.

Did a speedtest before and after replacing the old RCA modem (this is Comcast in Philly btw), and I got the same speeds. My guess is that my Belkin wireless router (g) is capping the speed of the modem.

Gonna replace the router with something capable of better speeds and report back.

I do have to admit this looks A LOT better than the old RCA modem at least.

Anyone in Phoenix (prefer Chandler) with COX see any real benefit to this modem vs the older Moto's like the 5120? I'm getting 13-16 DL and 4-6 UL consistently. Unless there is a large improvement I'll save my $.

thx

Anyone in Phoenix (prefer Chandler) with COX see any real benefit to this modem vs the older Moto's like the 5120? I'm getting 13-16 DL and 4-6 UL consistently. Unless there is a large improvement I'll save my $.

thx

I upgraded from the 5120 to the 6120 in the Biltmore area and my speeds little more than doubled.

Enough so, that I dropped a tier of service and am saving about $200 a year. Modem will pay for it self in 6 month. The drop in tier is still faster than the higher / faster service with the 5120.

thx

It is hard to compare because I have seen this vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. Yours seems pretty solid already though. I had a 25/1.5 or so and it went down a little to about 20 down but like 5-6 up so I am alright with the compromise. Another byproduct of the bonded channels is that I can't phase that stream. I can download like a madman like before but it significantly lessened the effects it has on my other comps and my PS3.

I picked one of these a while back from Fry's to try it out. I got Comcast to register the new modem NIC but it would not connect. The Comcast rep said that I need to have DOCSIS 3.0 service for the modem to work. So I ended up returning the modem. This was in the San Francisco Bay Area. Was the guy pulling my leg?

Do you know of any cases where someone was able to use the Modem with DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 service? What you say makes sense especially if the DOCSIS protocols are backwards compatible. Of course it could just be Comcast using IT to implement a block.

I live in the bay area and have this modem combined with the Blast! internet package (does not require DOCSIS 3), but my upstream equipment is DOCSIS 3 so I get 4 bonded channels for downstream. This actually solved a real issue I was having where periodically the channel I was on was crapping out and the modem would not resync.. now with 4 channels hooked up all the time I have no issues at all.

Back