Motorized side panels???

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
I know this might be a bit of a different request...but I'm wondering if there's anyone out there/here who has worked with or knows anything about servos. The reason I'm asking is I'm planning a mod for my Shuttle SP35P2 and I need to know if I'll have space to make things work.

What I'm planning to do is cut/separate the top of the case from the side panels, put the side panels on hinges, and use some sort of motor to raise the sides up/open with the push of a button.

I have no idea if this is possible or not, I could settle for just creating a classy looking hinge setup and opening things manually...but something motorized would be so much sweeter. :)

Model airplane servos are very tiny but can be expensive, but these would be the best shot I think for you. You could even make them remote controlled. :)

Most lego robot kits have servos. I remember in my robot building class we used servos in conjunction with a usb adapter that ran on batteries to control the robot. Not exactly sure what they were, but they worked well enough.

Gonna have to find something that would simply lift the panel up away from the case...and prices, hopefully not TOO pricey, cus I really want either remote controlled servos or something with a button that I can wire in and mount in the back of the case.

If you look at furniture making supply web sites, you might find some gas-filled cylinder lift thingies - like they use on hatchbacks and such (i.e. cars) but smaller. These are used for making cabinet tops that lift easily. Not powered, but you could have them lift the sides with the release of an electromagnetic catch. Manual closure though.

Some surplus shops near me sell stepper motors with threaded rods that can be used to lift and drop a side panel.

I am curious myself. I just bought a TT Mozart and would love to have a way to keep the doors open when im working on it...plus it would be really cool! ;) I have been thinking of modifying some "gas-filled cylinder lift thingies" as Michael put it and i think it should work...pretty cheap too.

Check this out.

Also check out "Motorized Madness" on www.thebestcasescenario.com to see how he used that controller and several motors to move several panels on his case.

I own the controller and 4 servos myself and will be using them in my mod but I have not gotten to that point yet in its construction.

I have been thinking of modifying some "gas-filled cylinder lift thingies" as Michael put it and i think it should work...pretty cheap too.

I looked at my local furniture maker's supply, thinking I'd seen them there - no luck. But West Marine has some on sale - kind big at 10", but the price is good $3.33.

Yeah...I'd need something fairly small. I'd end up removing the optical drive and would have the space the optical drive was taking up, as well as the 3.5" bay beneath it.

I looked at my local furniture maker's supply, thinking I'd seen them there - no luck. But West Marine has some on sale - kind big at 10", but the price is good $3.33.

That looks like it would work perfect! Thanks for the tip. Any ideas on what would be required to make the operate with a switch or remote? (btw, i have plenty of room if it requires additional hardware. ;))

Electrical latch of some kind. "Latch" as in door lock, not latch as in 74LS259 - 8 bit addressable latch..

Something like this but smaller would be ideal. A simple mechanical latch that could have a small linear actuator open it would be good. If the force required was small enough, you could use a door chime electromagnetic hammer as the actuator (garage sale/hardware sale bin stuff).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back