Motherboards using 24 pins now?

malice8691

Weaksauce
OK. I guess ive been living under a rock. Im looking at new motherboards to upgrade and Ive noticed they all have 24 pin connectors on them. Now I didnt think that my abit ai-7 was that old. It only had a 20 pin connector and an additional 4 pin header. I have been using an enermax 420 watt psu for a few years and have been just delighted with it. I had assumed that my new mb would work fine with my 420 watt enermax supply. I was looking at the dfi sli board and read that you have to use a real 24 pin supply. Is this new 24 pin just a combination of the 20 pin and the seperate 4 pin in one connector? Can i just plug in my 20 pin and my 4 pin next to it? I really dont have the budget for a new psu. Im gonna forget about the dfi board working with my old psu but what about an asus a8n sli or the abit sli board?

The 4 new pins aren't always required. As long as you've got a decent PSU you can just use an adapter or other provided means to connect the 20-pin connector to the mainboard's 24-pins.

Elledan said:
The 4 new pins aren't always required. As long as you've got a decent PSU you can just use an adapter or other provided means to connect the 20-pin connector to the mainboard's 24-pins.
I'd be carefull with that statement. This won't work with a lot of the SLI setups, I have seen quite a few incompatibility issues with true 24 pin PSU, much less a 20-24 pin converted one.

malice8691 said:
OK. I guess ive been living under a rock. Im looking at new motherboards to upgrade and Ive noticed they all have 24 pin connectors on them. Now I didnt think that my abit ai-7 was that old. It only had a 20 pin connector and an additional 4 pin header. I have been using an enermax 420 watt psu for a few years and have been just delighted with it. I had assumed that my new mb would work fine with my 420 watt enermax supply. I was looking at the dfi sli board and read that you have to use a real 24 pin supply. Is this new 24 pin just a combination of the 20 pin and the seperate 4 pin in one connector? Can i just plug in my 20 pin and my 4 pin next to it? I really dont have the budget for a new psu. Im gonna forget about the dfi board working with my old psu but what about an asus a8n sli or the abit sli board?

The new 24pin ATX connector is not the 4 pin plus the old 20 pin. The 24pin is the old 20 pin with an extra lead for 12v and an extra ground , an extra 5V and an extra 3.3V (and most of the time no -5v). The P4 (2x2) 12v connector is still used. Do not plug the 2x2 P4 into the 24pin ATX.

If you are getting a DFI board and you don't use a 24pin 480w supply and you need any assistance they are less than charitable. As for Asus it may work fine...only one way to find out. If you go SLI get a new supply.

But what are the system spec's?

Spectre said:
The 24pin is the old 20 pin with two extra leads for 12v and 2 extra grounds.

Im sure you just brain farted. It's only one extra 12V, one extra ground. The other two are an extra 5V and an extra 3.3V.

I must be living under a rock as well. I just bought an Enermax 535P-VE psu, and I can't figure out how to get power to the cpu.

It has the 20+4 pin setup, but the manual shows I'm supposed to have the separate 4pin plug, but I don't see it on my psu. I have a weird 8 pin plug that I've never seen, nor does my manual show that I'm supposed to have it. :confused:

Is that 4pin (that attaches to the 20) supposed to be my cpu power?

bananaRAM said:
I must be living under a rock as well. I just bought an Enermax 535P-VE psu, and I can't figure out how to get power to the cpu.

It has the 20+4 pin setup, but the manual shows I'm supposed to have the separate 4pin plug, but I don't see it on my psu. I have a weird 8 pin plug that I've never seen, nor does my manual show that I'm supposed to have it. :confused:

Is that 4pin (that attaches to the 20) supposed to be my cpu power?
Link to exact PSU please. ;)

nevermind LOL

I found the 8->4 pin adapter lying on the floor.

I'm an idiot... please ignore :D :p

malice8691 said:

When I just built my X2 rig, I realized I needed 24-pin as the parts were on the way. I read that there was a 20-24 adapter, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that. So I ordered a OCZ 450watt Modstream. Only problem I had was that I had to wait an extra day for the PSU. :( Damn my not catching that sooner!!! :D

Mr.Dearthian

jonnyGURU said:
Im sure you just brain farted. It's only one extra 12V, one extra ground. The other two are an extra 5V and an extra 3.3V.

Copy paste error (P4 connector) :eek:

Back