MotherBoards having HDMI port will output 5.1 channels of audio thru HDMI ?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs & Equipment' started by Plainman, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Plainman

Plainman n00bie

Hello Everyone !!!!

Im new here and wanted to start by asking if motherboards that have a HDMI port inbuilt will output 5.1 channels of dolby or dts sound so that i can hook the HDMI to my Yamaha amplifier ? Ofcourse this is when playing .mkv files with 6 channels of audio embedded in the video file as AC3 or DTS audio.

If required i can post the exact model of motherboard that im planning to buy/use. Also im wondering if this feature must also be supported by the processor.

Thanks in advance.

2. Krispy Kritter

Krispy Kritter Limp Gawd

Yes. You simply bitstream the audio track to the amp (assuming the amp supports the audio stream types that you are attempting to pass).

3. Plainman

Plainman n00bie

Hi, So should i do anything specific for bitstreaming or does it happen by default. And yes the Yamaha amp does support dolby 6 channel and dts. Those are the 2 basic formats almost all amps support.

4. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

No

Don't buy an old computer, some older cheap motherboards don't support bitstreaming.

Pretty sure everything on the market does now.

5. Plainman

Plainman n00bie

Im actually buying a new motherboard. My existing motherboard is a DG33FB, though its specs say 6 channel discrete audio, id keep my fingers crossed on that.

Im planning on an ASUS motherboard which has onboard HDMI out. I assume then that it should by default bitstream the multichannel audio via the HDMI port ?

My main doubt is as to whether the processor should also support this feature etc. Like for example high speed RAM sometimes needs a processor and motherboard which can take that speed.

6. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

Anything on the market today should be fine, even 50 dollar atom boards will do it.

7. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

All my hdmi devices defaulted to bitstream.

Edit I don't know if any of the older core series stuff defaulted or supported bitstream.

8. Plainman

Plainman n00bie

Will the ASUS P8H77-M motherboard support audio bitstreaming via its inbuilt HDMI port and dual monitors (as in 1 monitor on my desk and one to my projector) ?

I tried googling on this but couldn't find an answer since the question is a little too specific i guess.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 11:08 PM
  9. rhansen5_99

rhansen5_99 [H]ard|Gawd

The Asus board has a ALC887 which should do bitstream, hope that helps.

10. Plainman

Plainman n00bie

What is ALC887 ? If you dont mind tell me. Sorry to take up your time.

11. rhansen5_99

rhansen5_99 [H]ard|Gawd

It is the realtek audio chip on the board, that basically controls what audio options you have. FYI I found what chip was on the board from the Asus specs page for that board under the audio section.

12. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

The on-board audio codec. Your 'soundcard', as it were.